Skip to main content

D.A. Refuses Plea Deal in Montauk Art Show Case

Thu, 02/12/2026 - 11:26
The damage after a woman drove into the closed booths at the Montauk Artists Association show last summer was estimated to top $100,000.
John Papaleo

“One year of supervision is not sufficient for what she allegedly did,” Justice Steven Tekulsky said during a conference last Thursday with Nicoly Ribeiro De Souza’s attorney.

The woman, alleged by East Hampton Town police to have driven through an art show on the Montauk green last June, was seeking a year of probation on misdemeanor charges of driving while intoxicated and criminal mischief.

The Montauk Artists Association Art Show sustained over $100,000 in damages, resulting in six counts of criminal mischief, after police said Ms. Ribeiro De Souza, 24, of Farmingville, drove her Nissan Rogue into its tents at about 3 a.m. on June 29.

The prosecutor, Keith O’Brien of the county district attorney’s office, told the court that the D.A. is not offering a plea deal, and that Ms. Ribeiro De Souza feces sentencing “as charged.” Each count of criminal mischief is punishable by up to a year in jail. The D.W.I. charge also carries a jail sentence of up to a year.

It was noted during last week’s conference that the State Department of Motor Vehicles declined, on Dec. 4, to allow Ms. Ribeiro De Souza to regain her driving privileges, citing the fact that she had refused to submit to a breath test at the scene.

Justice Tekulsky also told the woman’s lawyer that she will not be eligible for TASC, Treatment Alternatives for Safer Communities, a state program that diverts those with substance abuse issues to treatment rather than jail.

The case will continue on April 16.

In the case of Gail Bomze, charged by East Hampton Village police with biting a child at an event on Main Beach last summer, lawyers are working toward a plea agreement, which, Mr. O’Brien said, is pending approval of the child’s family.

 Ms. Bomze, 75, was charged with assault in the third degree and endangering the welfare of a child, both misdemeanors, after allegedly biting a 7-year-old girl during a concert at the beach on Aug. 12. Her lawyer, Luigi Belcastro, appeared in Justice Court virtually.

Justice Tekulsky told him he would like the case wrapped up next month, and it will appear on the docket on March 19.

Accident by the Train Station

A head-on collision on Montauk Highway near the Amagansett railroad crossing last week left four people injured.

May 14, 2026

An ‘In-Depth Look’ at Crime Here in 2025

Arrests across East Hampton Town were down last year, as were overall calls to town police, according to the department’s year-end report. Motor vehicle accidents are also trending down.

May 7, 2026

EpiPens Now in Town Police Cars

The East Hampton Healthcare Foundation has donated 26 two-packs of EpiPens, pre-loaded syringes that defend against the allergic reaction known as anaphylaxis, to East Hampton Town.

May 7, 2026

On the Police Logs 05.07.26

Kids were reported to be running amok at BonBon, a candy shop in Sag Harbor, last week. An employee told police that “very young kids” took too many candy samples and other items.

May 7, 2026

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.