Skip to main content

Driver Pleads Guilty in Fatal 2025 Springs Crash

Wed, 02/11/2026 - 20:17
Luis Barrionuevo-Fuertes pleaded guilty Feb. 11 to multiple charges relating to a fatal car accident on Old Stone Highway in Springs in June. With him in court that day was his attorney, Melissa Aguanno.
T.E. McMorrow, East Hampton Press, Pool Photo

The driver in a Springs car accident that killed one teenager and injured six others in June pleaded guilty to multiple charges on Feb. 11 and will be sentenced to four to 12 years in prison. 

Luis Barrionuevo-Fuertes of Moriches pleaded guilty in Suffolk County Court in Riverhead to 19 charges stemming from the accident and the death of Scarleth Urgiles Samaniego, 19, of East Hampton on the night of June 15. Mr. Barrionuevo-Fuertes had been driving seven teenagers in his 2006 Toyota Camry — six of whom were in the back seat — home from Maidstone Beach when he lost control of the vehicle on Old Stone Highway. He hit a tree and the sedan rolled onto its side, killing Ms. Urgiles Samaniego and injuring all the other occupants. One of them, an 18-year-old, sustained a spinal fracture and “significant disfigurement” of her hand, according to the Suffolk County district attorney.

Police said Mr. Barrionuevo-Fuertes had been drinking before the accident and that recording software in his car documented speeds in excess of 70 miles per hour in the moments before the crash. The speed limit on Old Stone Highway is 30 miles per hour.

Mr. Barrionuevo-Fuertes was later indicted by the county. Last week, in a guilty plea allocution in front of Suffolk County Supreme Court Justice Steven A. Pilewski, he admitted to all the charges. Initially facing up to 25 years in prison, Mr. Barrionuevo-Fuertes could serve a maximum of 12 years.

A GoFundMe for the family of Ms. Urgiles Samaniego, set up by her mother after her death, raised nearly $70,000, including a large donation from the East Hampton Teachers Association. Ms. Urgiles Samaniego was a junior at the high school and wanted to join the Army, according to the GoFundMe page. In an interview on Monday, Melissa Aguanno, Mr. Barrionuevo-Fuertes’s attorney, called the June night “extremely tragic, all around.” 

Mr. Barrionuevo-Fuertes was 18 when he was arrested and had had no prior run-ins with the law. “He turned 19 in jail,” she said. Ms. Aguanno said that while her client has always taken full responsibility for his actions that night, in the last eight months he has matured and reflected. “From day one he has never made excuses,” she said.

What he has not done, she said — under her advisement — is address the family of Ms. Urgiles Samaniego. That will change when Mr. Barrionuevo-Fuertes is sentenced on March 18. “He did prepare a letter,” Ms. Aguanno said. He will be permitted to read the letter aloud in the courtroom after victim impact statements are made.

 What happens to Mr. Barrionuevo-Fuertes next will be in the hands of the Department of Corrections. After sentencing he will be held for several months in a “downstate” facility where he will be assessed by guards, who will determine which upstate prison he will do his time in. 

 Before his the accident, Mr. Barrionuevo-Fuertes participated in a two-year BOCES law enforcement program. He had planned to join the military. Ms. Aguanno said she recently told him that would no longer be possible, even after he completes his sentence. 

The most serious of the charges include: aggravated vehicular homicide, manslaughter in the second degree, aggravated vehicular assault, vehicular manslaughter in the second degree, two counts of assault in the second degree, vehicular assault in the first degree, two counts of vehicular assault in the second degree, and aggravated driving while intoxicated with a child in the vehicle. The last count came because one of the passengers was 15 at the time of the accident. Eight additional misdemeanor charges and one speeding infraction were also part of the laundry list of charges.

Along with the 15-year-old and the 18-year-old who sustained the spinal fracture, the other passengers in the car, all from East Hampton, included two who were 19, one who was 18, and one who was 17. 

Mr. Barrionuevo-Fuertes will be back in court for sentencing and remanding on March 18.


Note: This article has been updated since it first appeared online.

 

Accident by the Train Station

A head-on collision on Montauk Highway near the Amagansett railroad crossing last week left four people injured.

May 14, 2026

An ‘In-Depth Look’ at Crime Here in 2025

Arrests across East Hampton Town were down last year, as were overall calls to town police, according to the department’s year-end report. Motor vehicle accidents are also trending down.

May 7, 2026

EpiPens Now in Town Police Cars

The East Hampton Healthcare Foundation has donated 26 two-packs of EpiPens, pre-loaded syringes that defend against the allergic reaction known as anaphylaxis, to East Hampton Town.

May 7, 2026

On the Police Logs 05.07.26

Kids were reported to be running amok at BonBon, a candy shop in Sag Harbor, last week. An employee told police that “very young kids” took too many candy samples and other items.

May 7, 2026

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.