Skip to main content

On the Police Logs 12.02.21

Thu, 12/02/2021 - 09:06


On Nov. 22, a bicycle rider on Indian Wells Highway near Further Lane noticed a wallet on the ground; it proved to contain $933 in cash. He turned it in to the police, who tried to contact its apparent owner but were unsuccessful. The wallet is now in a police locker.

A Marine Boulevard resident called police on Nov. 25 after a friendly four-legged trespasser wandered up a dune and onto her property multiple times. The dog was unleashed, and its owner said the woman told her she “cannot control where the dog goes while at the beach.” A leash might have solved the problem, but the town has no official leash law on the books. Later attempts to contact the dog’s owner were unsuccessful, and animal control was notified.

Early Saturday morning, eyes, faces, and the letters “STU” were found spray-painted in a few places at the Atlantic Avenue comfort station and on nearby street signs. Police reported that “no fresh footprints” were seen in the area.

East Hampton

A trespasser in a pickup truck spun doughnuts on the dirt road at Whitmore’s Tree Farm on the evening of Nov. 19, wrecking two hydrangea plants and a wooden post. The gate had been left open. The driver exited the nursery a little after 10 p.m. and is thought to have headed north on Route 114. Police recovered four cracked pieces of a taillight at the scene, but have no other leads as yet.

On Sunday morning, a resident of Wigwam View Lane called police after seeing a heavyset man who appeared to be in his 50s, with long blond hair, taking photos of her house. He was using “a professional-type camera with an extending pole,” the woman told police. The man got into a four-door maroon sedan and drove away when he realized he’d been seen.

East Hampton Village

Police were called to the Exxon gas station Saturday night after a woman borrowed the bathroom key and didn’t return it for quite a while. She was reportedly seen circling the building several times. An officer helped get the key back and the woman left without incident.

Disaster was averted on the afternoon of Nov. 25 when someone called police to report an odor of gas in the vicinity of Gingerbread Lane. Police officers and the fire chief also smelled it, and determined it was coming from a residence. They evacuated the family and shut off the gas and hot water heater until the house could be properly ventilated. The family was advised to keep the gas off until it could be serviced.

On Nov. 22, the 61st day of autumn, a Georgica Road resident called police, as well as the Public Works Department, to report leaves in the roadway.


A Longwoods Road resident was sitting at his dining room table on the afternoon of Nov. 25 when he heard the sound of cracking glass. It turned out that someone had fired a BB gun toward his house, damaging a rear window and lodging a small BB bullet between the glass and the screen. Police canvassed the area but couldn’t find anyone to interview, as nearby houses were unoccupied and the backyard of the complainant’s house borders on a large wooded area.

Thank you for reading . . . 
...Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.