Skip to main content

Timberlake's Attorney Argues for Dismissal of D.W.I. Charge

Fri, 07/26/2024 - 14:52

Ed Burke Jr., the attorney representing the pop star Justin Timberlake on his June 18 drunken-driving charge in Sag Harbor Village Justice Court, argued Friday morning before Justice Carl Irace that the case should be dismissed on the grounds that police had erred when processing the arrest paperwork.

The "accusatory instrument" was insufficient, said Mr. Burke, in that a police sergeant assisted the arresting officer, Michael Arkinson, with the paperwork, but the supervising officer did not sign the documents himself.

Assistant District Attorney Ashley Cangro, the prosecutor, requested that the court allow her to submit a written response to the dismissal motion before Justice Irace rules on the issue. For now, the case will continue under an amended criminal complaint filed by Ms. Cangro, with an arraignment set for Friday, Aug. 2.

Mr. Timberlake, who is currently on a concert tour in Poland, is set to appear virtually. He was not present in the Sag Harbor courtroom on Friday, as the hearing did not require him to personally appear.

"The most important thing we have to say is that Justin should not have been arrested for driving while intoxicated. . . . Police made a number of errors in this case," Mr. Burke said after the hearing.

"The fact remains: he was not intoxicated," Mr. Burke continued. "I'll say it again: Justin Timberlake was not intoxicated."

The morning was a busy one in the Sag Harbor courtroom. Reporters, told by security that there might not be enough space, initially worried about not getting a chance to enter the courtroom. Eventually, security created one line for the press and one line for defendants.

T.E. McMorrow, a veteran cops-and-courts journalist, served as a media representative to watch the developments unfold and share them with his peers from other news outlets, while the rest stayed behind the metal detector separating the courtroom from the waiting area.

Eventually, security allowed members of the press to enter individually, as defendants left court for the day. To help manage the influx of media, Judge Irace paused routine morning courtroom operations to allow Mr. Timberlake's hearing to occur.

Convicted Man Given Grace

Darius Petty, who last year was accused of kidnapping and robbing three young men at gunpoint in the parking lot of the East Hampton Senior Center, and was sentenced in June to three years in prison, was released from custody in July for a monthlong “grace period” before his incarceration. On Tuesday, Suffolk Supreme Court Justice Timothy P. Mazzei agreed to extend the time for an additional month.

Aug 28, 2025

On the Police Logs 08.28.25

After leaving his house early Saturday, a Montauk man found a stranger asleep in his guest room when he returned late that afternoon. The intruder told police he was “unsure how, when, or why” he’d got there, adding that he’d been drinking the night before.

Aug 28, 2025

Teen Cyclist Hurt in Collision

A 15-year-old bike rider was injured on Aug. 19 after colliding with a Chevrolet pickup truck by the side of Montauk Highway in East Hampton.

Aug 28, 2025

He ‘Just Needed to Stop’

A Florida resident faces two felony drunken-driving charges after Sag Harbor Village police, responding to a welfare check, found him lying on a sidewalk early on the morning of Aug. 20.

Aug 28, 2025

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.