Skip to main content

Two Face Felony Drunken-Driving Charges

Thu, 05/23/2024 - 10:38

Town police have leveled new drunken-driving charges in separate incidents against two East Hampton men who were convicted of the crime within the last 10 years, which elevates the charges to felonies.

On May 13 at 12:35 a.m., on Springs-Fireplace Road in Springs, officers reported spotting Juan C. Coello-Yunga crossing both the double-yellow lines and the white fog lines. The license-plate lamps on his 2006 Ford van were later deemed inadequate.

He was stopped on Copeces Lane, where he was said to be smelling of alcohol, slurring his speech, and having bloodshot eyes. He later failed roadside sobriety tests, police said, and was arrested shortly before 1 a.m., charged with two felony counts of D.W.I. as well as a misdemeanor count for lacking a court-mandated engine interlock device.

Mr. Coello-Yunga, 38, was arraigned later that morning by Justice David Filer, who released him on his own recognizance. He is being represented by Luis Pagan and is due back in court on June 5.

Five days later, shortly before 3 a.m. on Stephen Hand’s Path near Bull Path in East Hampton, police charged Victor L. Nieves Saca, 32, with two counts of felony D.W.I. They stopped his northbound 2018 Toyota, they said, after the driver failed to dim his bright lights for oncoming traffic. According to the report, Mr. Nieves “performed poorly on parts of the standardized field sobriety tests.”

Justice Filer released him on his own recognizance later that morning. He is due back in court on July 31; he had no attorney as of press time.

On the Police Logs 11.27.25

A Barry Lane, Springs, man told police that someone claiming to be from Amazon had called him in regard to a $996 charge on his account for an iPhone 16. When he said he didn’t have an Amazon account, he was transferred to someone who identified himself as a Social Security employee, accused him of money laundering, and told him to expect a call from Nassau County police.

Nov 27, 2025

Accused of Stealing Wipes

A homeless 22-year-old was arrested last week in Montauk, accused of stealing a package of wipes from the Montauk I.G.A. after having been being notified the week before that he was no longer allowed on the premises.

Nov 27, 2025

Hospitalized After Accident

Police reported only one accident on local roads recently that resulted in an injury, which happened on Nov. 11 in Montauk, after midnight.

Nov 27, 2025

Five-Day Sentence for 2023 Graffiti That Unnerved Montauk

A 76-year-old Montauk man was sentenced to five days in county jail, followed by three years of probation, for spray-painting swastikas and antisemitic phrases around the hamlet in late 2023. 

Nov 20, 2025

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.