Skip to main content

A History of Convictions

Thu, 05/23/2019 - 06:41

An East Hampton man with a history of drug and alcohol convictions may face significant jail time after being charged with felony drunken driving on Saturday morning.

Southampton Town police said Frederic Stephens Jr., 24, had been speeding and swerving before they stopped his 2004 GMC Yukon Denali on County Road 104 in Riverside. He appeared to be intoxicated, they said, and refused to take a breath test at police headquarters.

Mr. Stephens has two drunken-driving convictions on his record, including one last year in Madison County, N.Y. His driving privileges were never restored after those convictions, police said, causing them to charge him with a second felony, unlicensed driving.

He was also charged with a misdemeanor, because the Denali, which has been seized by the county, allegedly lacked a required ignition device that guards against drunken driving.

The legal morass in which Mr. Stephens finds himself is made worse by the fact that he is on probation, having pleaded guilty to felony drug-dealing charges in October 2015, following his arrest that July on a felony charge of possession of the party drug known as molly or ecstasy.

After the arrest, felony charges of dealing cocaine were added, the result of an investigation involving the East End anti-drug task force and East Hampton Town police. Mr. Stephens was in jail until his guilty plea in October. His attorney, Stephen Grossman, said at the time that Mr. Stephens took the plea, which included five years probation, because he wanted to spend more time with his newborn child. Probation came, however, with the understanding that Justice William Condon, seated in Riverside, could revisit it if the defendant had another serious brush with the law.

Mr. Stephens pleaded guilty in East Hampton Town Justice Court three weeks ago on an unrelated misdemeanor charge of resisting arrest, which happened in Montauk this past summer, outside the Memory Motel, after a Busta Rhymes concert.

Now, however, he faces far more serious charges. Because of his two felony convictions, he is not eligible for bail at the town court level, leaving Southampton Town Justice Gary J. Weber, at his arraignment Saturday, no option but to order him to county jail. The district attorney’s office has until today to obtain a grand jury indictment against him; if not, he will have to be released. In similar cases in the past, however, District Attorney Thomas Spota has placed a premium on obtaining indictments.

Mr. Grossman was again on hand to defend Mr. Stephens for his Christmas Eve arraignment in Southampton Town Justice Court. He entered a denial to the felony charges and a not-guilty plea to the misdemeanor on behalf of his client. A plea can be entered on a felony charge only after an indictment is obtained.

It was unfortunate, Mr. Grossman said by phone after the arraignment, that defendants with drug and alcohol addiction problems are jailed rather than treated. “They should build a facility that is just for addicts,” he said.

On the Police Logs 11.27.25

A Barry Lane, Springs, man told police that someone claiming to be from Amazon had called him in regard to a $996 charge on his account for an iPhone 16. When he said he didn’t have an Amazon account, he was transferred to someone who identified himself as a Social Security employee, accused him of money laundering, and told him to expect a call from Nassau County police.

Nov 27, 2025

Accused of Stealing Wipes

A homeless 22-year-old was arrested last week in Montauk, accused of stealing a package of wipes from the Montauk I.G.A. after having been being notified the week before that he was no longer allowed on the premises.

Nov 27, 2025

Hospitalized After Accident

Police reported only one accident on local roads recently that resulted in an injury, which happened on Nov. 11 in Montauk, after midnight.

Nov 27, 2025

Five-Day Sentence for 2023 Graffiti That Unnerved Montauk

A 76-year-old Montauk man was sentenced to five days in county jail, followed by three years of probation, for spray-painting swastikas and antisemitic phrases around the hamlet in late 2023. 

Nov 20, 2025

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.