Skip to main content

On the Police Logs 02.16.23

Thu, 02/16/2023 - 10:47

East Hampton

A noise complaint took officers to 35 Harbor View Avenue at 2 a.m. Saturday after an across-the-street neighbor reported hearing “loud bass” sounds. Police interviewed a female resident, who said she’d turn down the music and ask her guests to remain indoors. The same neighbor complained again about an hour later, but when police arrived, the music was off and the guests were leaving.

A person was found sitting on a couch in Randy Hoffman’s Oakview Highway residence on the evening of Feb. 9 but left without incident. Mr. Hoffman wanted it on record.

Three residents of 21 Dominy Court told police on Feb. 6 that an unidentified person or persons, apparently unaware of the high price of eggs these days, had pelted their home and three cars parked there the day before with eggs. No damage was reported.

East Hampton Village

Since mid-December, someone has been ordering and then sending packages to a 76-year-old woman at her Newtown Lane house using one of her accounts. When the woman’s daughter called police on Sunday, she said her mother had been able to return the packages to the unnamed company for a refund. But even after the victim put a hold on her mail at the post office, an unidentified person contacted the post office to attempt to have the mail delivered again, this time to an unspecified address.

A 50-year-old woman went to police headquarters on Feb. 8 around 6 p.m. to report that she accidentally left her license plates on the Aston Martin that she had just traded in at a dealership. She was unable to recover the plates and was given Department of Motor Vehicles paperwork to fill out.

A landscaper was blowing leaves in front of the Huntting Inn on Main Street on Feb. 6 when some of the leaves blew into the shoulder of the road, prompting a complaint from the East Hampton Department of Public Works. The landscaper assured the village that he “always cleans the shoulder if any debris gets off the grass,” which ended the matter.

Two women got off a Suffolk County bus at a Railroad Avenue stop on the morning of Feb. 7, including one who had contacted the police about the other. The second woman appeared to be “off her medication” and was “arguing about some nonsense,” according to a report. They apparently knew each other, but officers were unable to locate the second woman.


Philip Olin of Bronxville was sleeping in a white Ford Escape in the Gin Beach parking lot when police roused him at around 4:30 Saturday morning. He was reportedly wearing a jacket from Uihlein’s Marina and Motel but told police he didn’t know how he had come into possession of the garment, saying only that he “may have slept near there last night.” Police also asked Mr. Olin about a backpack with the initials “T.O.A.” on it. Mr. Olin showed police the contents of the backpack, which included a large quantity of cigarettes that he said he had bought at the Shinnecock Reservation. He told police he would get some rest and then head back home.

Lindsay Stavola, a resident of the hamlet, stopped her car on Flamingo Avenue on the evening of Feb. 9 to see if a man walking his dog was okay. The pedestrian, Christopher Mackie, also of Montauk, approached the car but Ms. Stavola drove away as he did so. She called the police thinking he was trying to get in the car. Police then interviewed Mr. Mackie, who said he was just trying to get to the train station. An officer gave him and the dog a ride.

Northwest Harbor

A neighbor complained of noise at 3 Harbor Street around 1 a.m. Saturday morning, telling police there were lots of cars parked in the road. Responding officers noted music was coming from the basement, which a resident of the house turned down at their request. They also asked her to move a car that was parked at the corner of Barnes Avenue and Harbor Street. Another noise complaint was called in about an hour later by the same neighbor, but responding police said the music “was very low” the second time around.

Sag Harbor

During a routine check on the North Haven bridge late Saturday morning, police noticed that a memorial bench had been vandalized. The stone was damaged and wood was missing from the base.

A Harbor Shop employee discovered a white Trek 3 Series bicycle and blue helmet in front of 22 Long Island Avenue just before midnight on Saturday, and turned the items in to police for safeguarding. The next day, Denise Hallock reported that her son’s bike had gone missing from a neighboring Long Island Avenue address, but thanks to the employee, her son was soon reunited with his bike and helmet.

Steven Weiner’s German shepherd was on the loose in the vicinity of Jermain Avenue and Oakland Avenue on Saturday — but not for long. Police corralled the dog on Oakland Avenue and reunited the animal with its human less than an hour after his call for service. 

An elderly woman hit her head trying to get out of bed early Friday morning, prompting a call for medical assistance to her Downer Street home. She was taken by ambulance to Stony Brook Southampton Hospital.

A woman tried to rent a room at the Sag Harbor Inn on West Water Street on Feb. 7, but was told that the inn was not accepting guests. She returned five hours later and was told the same thing; an inn employee then called the police.


A Norfolk Drive resident called police on Feb. 8 certain that someone else had been in her house. Responding officers checked all the windows and doors, which were secure, and concluded that there were signs of neither suspicious activity nor forced entry.

Thank you for reading . . . 
...Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.