Skip to main content

Lawyers Debate Sag Harbor Goop Fire

Thu, 12/15/2022 - 08:42
Christine Sampson

Whatever happened to that late-June incident at the Goop shop in Sag Harbor, where two waiters were badly burned after a store employee toasted marshmallows for an event, using isopropyl alcohol?

It’s not in litigation, at least not yet. Lawyers for both sides are trying to negotiate a settlement.

Justin Blitz, the New York City-based lawyer for the two men, Mark Nilon and Nathaniel Meeks, says that while his clients have since gone back to work, each was badly burned in the June 25 incident.

That evening, the Goop retail store, founded by the actress Gwyneth Paltrow and headquartered in Santa Monica, Calif., hosted an event at its Bay Street shop, catered by Little Gem, which is owned by Mr. Blitz’s wife. (The catering company is not involved in the settlement discussions, the lawyer said.)

Little Gem provided the food and the waiters. Unknown to the two men, said Mr. Blitz, Goop, on its own, had set up a s’mores buffet, with a burner in a covered area outside.

According to police and fire marshal reports, a shop employee used rubbing alcohol to “kindle” the fire, and the vapors caused an explosion. Sag Harbor Fire Marshal Bruce Schiavoni cited Goop on a certificate of occupancy charge, and for lighting a flame underneath a flammable ceiling — in this case, a woven bamboo ceiling that was burned in the explosion.

Mr. Meeks was helicoptered to Stony Brook Hospital for burns on his back and hands; Mr. Nilon was taken to Stony Brook Southampton Hospital with facial burns. Police reported that “subjects stated that rubbing alcohol was added to candles, which caused a large explosion/fire.”

In the months that followed, said Mr. Blitz, both men paid follow-up visits to a number of doctors.

The lawyer said he was hopeful that the shop and the waiters will arrive at an amicable resolution of the case. Failing that, “the ultimate next step would be proceeding with litigation.”

An email sent to Goop’s corporate office for comment on the case did not receive an immediate response.

On the Police Logs 11.27.25

A Barry Lane, Springs, man told police that someone claiming to be from Amazon had called him in regard to a $996 charge on his account for an iPhone 16. When he said he didn’t have an Amazon account, he was transferred to someone who identified himself as a Social Security employee, accused him of money laundering, and told him to expect a call from Nassau County police.

Nov 27, 2025

Accused of Stealing Wipes

A homeless 22-year-old was arrested last week in Montauk, accused of stealing a package of wipes from the Montauk I.G.A. after having been being notified the week before that he was no longer allowed on the premises.

Nov 27, 2025

Hospitalized After Accident

Police reported only one accident on local roads recently that resulted in an injury, which happened on Nov. 11 in Montauk, after midnight.

Nov 27, 2025

Five-Day Sentence for 2023 Graffiti That Unnerved Montauk

A 76-year-old Montauk man was sentenced to five days in county jail, followed by three years of probation, for spray-painting swastikas and antisemitic phrases around the hamlet in late 2023. 

Nov 20, 2025

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.