Skip to main content

On the Police Logs 08.26.21

Wed, 08/25/2021 - 16:57


E-E Home, a high-end housewares store on Main Street, caught a female shoplifter on camera stealing a folding knife just after 4 p.m. last Thursday. Police have been unable to locate the woman, who had a male companion with her at the time. 

A green Kawasaki motorcycle was reported stolen from Bunker Hill Road sometime between 11 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. on Friday after its owner had left it unattended. The incident is under investigation; anyone with information has been encouraged to come forward.

East Hampton Village

The spray paint was intentional, an employee at Harper's Books told police on Friday afternoon, after a traffic control officer called in what at first looked like graffiti on the plywood boards that were installed over the building's windows by way of storm preparation.

A 68-year-old man hired as a driver was falsely accused by his passengers of being under the influence of drugs or alcohol following a dispute on Friday morning. The driver walked into police headquarters soon after to report that the passengers making the allegation had refused to put on their seatbelts, after which he declined to take them anywhere. Police confirmed that he was sober, and the incident was documented without further action.

Anyone who has been missing a black cellphone since last Thursday might want to pay a visit to police at 1 Cedar Street. A man found the phone on Park Place around 7 p.m. and handed it over to an officer who was patrolling nearby. The officer put the phone in a storage locker at headquarters for safekeeping.

Here is a cautionary tale for those who use "borrowed" permits to park where they should not: Twice this week, police ticketed cars parked in handicapped spots with permits that were valid but did not match their license plates. One car was ticketed on Aug. 16 in front of Village Hall; the other on Aug. 18 in the Reutershan parking lot. The permits were confiscated. Fines for convictions of handicapped permit abuse range from $250 to $1,000.


An unruly patron at the Shagwong Tavern called police around closing time Saturday night to say someone had hit him, but that he could not identify the assailant. The man asked for an ambulance, but left before it arrived.

A boater at the helm of a 38-foot Pursuit called Change Orders is making restitution after striking a piling at Gosman's Dock and fleeing. It happened on Saturday just after 4 p.m., and the town Marine Patrol unit was able to track him down. No criminal charges were filed.

A woman who left her 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee parked overnight Friday on South Edison Street returned to it at noon on Saturday to find a scratch spanning the entire length of the passenger side, which she reported to police.

Last Thursday, the management of Bounce Beach Club on South Emerson Avenue accused multiple staff members of skimming the till. Police are still investigating the matter, which has been classified as possible grand larceny, meaning that the dollar amount involved is greater than $1,000.

An employee of the Montauk Manor called police on Aug. 18 after finding a man who was not a hotel guest asleep on a couch in the lobby. An officer determined that the man, whose name was withheld, was indeed a guest, but that he was wanted in Kissimee, Fla., for failure to appear in court. He was turned man over to the county police department's fugitive squad.

Sag Harbor

A 42-year-old man, who does not live in the village but often hangs out on Long Wharf, was involved in two incidents this week. Last Thursday at 10 a.m., he called police to complain that a person cleaning a yacht docked at the wharf had sprayed him with water. The cleaner denied it, and police noted that it was a windy day and the wind might well have caused some drops of soapy water to reach the man. On Sunday, shortly before 8 p.m., the same man was accused by workers on another yacht, called Kisses, of harassing them and filming them. Police told him to leave the area.

A man visiting Sag Harbor from Glen Rock, N.J., called police on Aug. 17 to say that his daughter had accidentally left behind bags containing jewelry — valued at more than $5,000 — at the Brandywine Drive house they'd rented between July 31 and Aug. 4. Police contacted the homeowner, but the jewelry was not found.

Thank you for reading . . . 
...Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.