Skip to main content

On the Police Logs 07.29.21

Thu, 07/29/2021 - 11:58


It was raining on July 9 at 6 a.m. when an administrator at St. Michael's Lutheran Church saw a man move a black metal bench to the front of the church, "to possibly get out of the rain," he later told police. It was less clear why the man then "located a terracotta pot which was placed to the right of the door and threw it on the sidewalk," shattering it. 

East Hampton

A redacted report from June 29 was full of red Solo cups and beer cans littered around a Woodhollow Drive resident's house. Details about party guests were withheld, but an affidavit charging one or more people with trespassing was signed at 8 that morning.

Youths "pulled on his porch-mounted gay pride flag, causing the mount to strip from the porch base," according to a June 23 police report. The owner, a Three Mile Harbor Road resident, said the flag was not damaged, but he would like someone to have a word with the juveniles who did it. The $10 mount needs to be replaced.

An Oak View Highway man reported using a dating app called Vibe last week and talking to someone "he believed was a woman." The person he called told him to send money, "or else the pictures would be sent to all his WhatsApp contacts." Police advised that he deactivate his social media and send no money.

East Hampton Village

A young man who was hanging around Briar Patch Road earlier this month and told a security guard that he was waiting for a resident, turned up there again at 9 a.m. on July 20, and was again transported to the train station to board a westbound train. This time, the guard who reported him bought him the train ticket.

Haze and a burning smell in the house prompted a Woods Lane resident to call police on July 20. "After a brief investigation, someone had burnt something in the microwave," said the report. 


When someone "began to stare at him in an aggressive manner for no apparent reason," a patron who was at Tauk at Trails End for Latino night on June 23 got spooked. The man accosted him, he told police, outside the bathroom at about 2 a.m., brandishing "a long dark knife in his waistband, before security grabbed the knife." The man fled and was not apprehended.

Another altercation outside a restroom happened at the 7-Eleven on at 3 a.m. on July 21, when one person got tired of waiting for the other to exit. Police withheld details, but it started with a push and ended with a punch.

A Gurney's guest left his hotel bike, a $300 Lynus beach cruiser, leaning against a porch railing of Liar's Saloon on the afternoon of July 11 and did not think to reclaim it until the next morning. It was nowhere to be found.

When Julie Sweeney opened her ice cream wagon for the day at Ditch Plain Beach on the morning of July 15, "she saw a box of chips had a hole in it, and it was empty." Upon further inspection, she found a hole in a plexiglass window. "It appears that once the window was pried open, the unknown subject(s) slid their hand inside and stole the chips from said box," police reported. An officer found remains of the chips on the floor of the men's bathroom adjacent to the trailer.

Sag Harbor

At midnight on July 20, a Division Street man reported a flashlight shining down his driveway, "coming from an S.U.V." Police found nothing.

Another Division Street resident found a black Jeep last Thursday evening parking in his "residents only" space and got out of his car to argue with its driver. He went back to the car, got his cellphone, called police, and returned to find the Jeep had left. On its way, it knocked over a "No Parking" sign.

The estate executor of a Cornell Road property told law enforcement on Friday that a person who had been working as an unpaid aide to the elderly owner had stayed on in the house for the past two weeks, after the owner's death.

As she was backing out of her driveway Friday evening, a Glover Street woman noticed a man standing under a tree and yelled at him to get off her property. He then proceeded to "urinate in plain view 40 to 50 feet away," she told police, adding that she could see him "only from the chest up."

Three young people ran into Sag Harbor Pharmacy on Saturday evening and ran out, not stopping to pay, with a bottle of Paddywax perfume.

A Garden Street resident reported his car stolen from his driveway Saturday afternoon. Police found it at the Gulf Gas station, where, according to the report, he himself may have left it.

A man who reported his black leather Coach wallet stolen early Sunday morning from the bar at the Dock House called police later that day to say someone had mistaken it for his own and had returned it.

An employee at Gulf Gas called police at 7 a.m. Sunday to say that a man was inside refusing to leave after being told "he was not allowed to clean his hands and clothing in the coffee sink." He did not pay for a coffee when he left. Police told him the store would not press charges, but that he could not return.


There was concern last Thursday afternoon from the airport control tower of "a possible unauthorized vehicle inside the airport property near the runway." The airport manager later confirmed that the person had a nuisance permit to hunt deer, and advised him that hunters are expected to let the office know they were there so that the tower could be alerted.

Thank you for reading . . . 
...Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.