Skip to main content

On the Police Logs 06.03.21

Fri, 06/04/2021 - 09:57


A boat owner told police he had no idea who, on May 21 between 5:30 and 10 a.m., cut a line securing his boat to the Lazy Point launch ramp and stole a stainless steel clamp and $150 worth of other items.

A town-owned picnic bench at Alberts Landing beach, valued at $200, appeared to have been burned sometime last Thursday. The incident was documented at 7 a.m. on Friday. 

East Hampton 

A McElnea Street resident fell for a fake money request from a supposed friend on WhatsApp whose account had been hacked, and lost $500 in the scam. Her bank flagged the transaction and was investigating.

In case his son's $210 Genesis mountain bike should turn up somewhere, a Boatheaders Lane resident wanted it documented that it was missing from their apartment complex as of May 25.

East Hampton Village

A driver was reported to be heading the wrong way on Gay Road at 9 a.m. on May 25, but righted himself prior to police arrival.

A Maidstone Avenue woman told police on May 26 that her neighbor had moved survey stakes a foot or so from where they belonged, making her property that much smaller. She was advised that it was a civil matter.

Fawning season is upon us. Last Thursday, police advised residents of a house on Two Mile Hollow Road to leave their gates open for two baby deer, in hopes the mother would find them. When the fawns were still on the property Friday morning, the Evelyn Alexander Wildlife Rescue Center sent a volunteer. That afternoon, just up the street, police got a call about a fawn lying by the roadside but did not find it. On Saturday at 7:30 a.m., the same homeowners called to say a fawn was caught between two fences, so wildlife rescue returned, and took it to be checked out. That night a Jericho Road resident also reported a baby deer stuck on something, and the rescue center promised to respond.

A "loud and unruly" customer was told never again to darken the doors of Stop & Shop at around 9 p.m. last Thursday.

Two 19-year-olds and an 18-year-old insisted they'd paid for all their items at CVS at 5 p.m. on Sunday, but the manager told police she thought otherwise. The three were compelled to pay in full and told not to come back.


Ever since late February, according to the manager of 7-Eleven, someone has been stealing from the store. The man, who drives a gray Toyota pickup truck, first took "seven bottles of Remedy drinks, four bottles of Pure Leaf iced tea, and two packages of cheese and salami." He was seen walking to the truck with the items in a basket, putting the basket in the truck, and then returning to the store for coffee and a pack of cigarettes, for which he paid. On the evening of March 24 he came back, the manager said, "grabbed a shopping bag, put nine Remedy drinks, four bottles of Pure Leaf iced tea, and two fresh fruit packages" it and left, again without paying for any of it. He owes 7-Eleven for about $80 worth of Remedy drinks, $21 worth of iced tea, $5 of salami and cheese, and $12 worth of fruit. The store hopes he will be found and told to pay up and stay away.

Another customer of 7-Eleven, a woman this time, was also accused of shoplifting there over a months-long spree. She put items including energy bars and sandwiches into her black handbag and then paid for only a few things at the register, starting in October 2020 and continuing in December and again in March. Surveillance caught her getting into a tan Toyota Camry with a handicapped permit hanging from the rearview mirror.

On May 18, after the owners of the Montauk Motel found room 16 with a cracked window, damaged screen, pans and utensils burned, a broken faucet, and other damages totaling $500, they notified police. They room's occupants had arrived the day before at 11 a.m. and left the next day at 3:30 in the afternoon, leaving behind in the trash a "crystal-like substance contained in two cloth bags" and a "glass pipe with a rounded endā" which were turned over to police. 


A Pembroke Drive resident reported on May 17 finding a garage storm door unlocked, with a broken handle. The inner door, however, was dead-bolted and secure.

A caller claiming to be an Amazon customer service representative convinced an Accabonac Road woman on May 26 to buy $300 worth of gift cards with her Amazon Prime Chase credit card. After speaking with a friend soon after, she cancelled the transaction and notified police and Amazon's fraud department. 


A Wainscott Stone Road resident was less lucky. After receiving anonymous messages via Instagram, WhatsApp, and Gchat from March 1 to May 25, the homeowner sent a total of $5,000 to an unknown email address.

Thank you for reading . . . 
...Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.