Skip to main content

On the Police Logs

Wed, 02/24/2021 - 18:05

East Hampton Village

After someone called on the afternoon of Feb. 16 to report hearing what sounded like a cat in distress, police scoped out Dunemere Lane, but found nothing. The next morning, the same person called again, and this time an officer discovered a gray cat stuck in a holly tree. The cat was assisted down and found to be in good shape.

A car damaged his motorized gate, a Carriage Court resident told police on Feb. 16. The homeowner may have had his suspicions, because he gave police, who photographed the damage, a license plate number.


Sag Harbor

A woman parked on Rector Street on the night of Feb. 16 and found a kitchen knife, wrapped in a black apron, on the ground next to the car the next morning. She was unsure if it was there when she parked, she told police, because it was dark.

Someone was parked in her driveway without permission, a Madison Street woman complained last Thursday evening. Police made contact with the car's owner, who turned out to be a neighbor whose own driveway was snowed in.

Similarly, on Saturday someone called police about a car parked in the driveway of an unoccupied Richards Drive house. Police found the driveway empty, however, and the snow undisturbed, with neither tire tracks nor footprints.

A man called police on Saturday night from the public restrooms on Bay Street, saying he was locked inside. Police found him in the women's room (which was not locked) and asked what he was doing there. The men's room was full, he replied, and it was "an emergency." Police determined that he was highly intoxicated.

His girlfriend must have had too much to drink, a man told police, who found her passed out on the sidewalk outside Page 63 at Main on Saturday night. She was taken by ambulance to Stony Brook Southampton Hospital for evaluation.



A Springs-Fireplace Road woman thought at first that the messages on her Facebook page were from charities, but became suspicious as the demands became more strongly worded, and contacted police. She also reported receiving a call from an unknown number during which the caller said her name, which further alarmed her. Police described both the Facebook posts and the phone threats as attempts at extortion, and advised her to change her passwords.

Thank you for reading . . . 
...Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.