Skip to main content

Driving Without Interlock

Thu, 11/04/2021 - 09:05

Police in East Hampton Town and Village and Sag Harbor made several arrests on the roads during the last two weeks.

Brian P. Flinn of East Hampton, 31, was charged on Oct. 21 with a misdemeanor count of using a vehicle not equipped with an interlock device, a restriction often imposed by a judge in cases involving drunken driving. Town police stopped Mr. Flinn, driving a 2013 Toyota, on Abraham's Path near Asa's Path. He was released on an appearance ticket and is due in East Hampton Town Justice Court at a later date.

Police levied the same charge against Pedro Texis-Atonal of Montauk, 21, on Oct. 19, as well as second-degree aggravated unlicensed driving, also a misdemeanor. Stopped at around 11 p.m. in a 2011 Honda van while driving on Montauk Highway near South Eagle Street in Montauk, he was to have appeared in court on Oct. 27.

Oscar G. Boch Nij of Flanders, 43, was also charged with driving without an interlock device after police stopped him in a 2007 Isuzu on North Main Street near Cedar Street in East Hampton on Oct. 22. He was released and has a future date in Justice Court.

In East Hampton Village, police arrested Russell T. Miller III, 22, just before 5 p.m. on Oct. 25 on a misdemeanor charge of driving with a suspended registration, as well as four traffic infractions. He was in a 2008 Land Rover. The court date for the East Hampton resident is Wednesday.

Sag Harbor Village police said they flagged Nolan Bennett of Brooklyn, 29, speeding at 35 miles per hour in front of the Sag Harbor Elementary School in his 2016 Kia last Thursday morning. During a traffic stop, Mr. Bennett's driving record showed a suspended registration for lapsed insurance, police said, and he was charged with a misdemeanor reflecting that as well as given a school zone speeding ticket. He is to appear before Village Justice Lisa R. Rana today.

A woman claiming that her boyfriend threatened to kill her after she attempted to break up with him reported the incident to Sag Harbor Village police on Oct. 2. Eighteen days later, an officer caught up with him on Bay Street and arrested him. Leander Kobolakis, a 29-year-old who lives in Southampton, was charged with second-degree aggravated harassment, a misdemeanor, and held overnight at East Hampton Village police headquarters for a morning arraignment.

Scott R. Ficorilli of Sag Harbor, 59, turned himself in to village police on Oct. 22 after allegedly violating an order of protection several days earlier by flashing his middle finger at the protected party. He was charged with second-degree criminal contempt, a misdemeanor, and arraigned by Justice Rana that morning.

On the afternoon of Oct. 18, Sag Harbor police stopped a man whose GMC sport utility vehicle had neither a valid registration sticker nor insurance, also discovering that his license had been suspended numerous times. The man identified himself as Muallim Dhakir Ghazwan El, but police recognized him as William D. Brunson of Bridgehampton, 47, according to a report. He was charged with second-degree aggravated unlicensed driving as well as several traffic violations and then released. Police impounded his car. He was to have appeared in court on Friday.
 


Thank you for reading . . . 
...Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.