Skip to main content

Suspect in Colorado Murder Arrested in Sag Harbor

Thu, 10/21/2021 - 08:23
The estranged husband of Masany Cruz, 29, who was found dead in a Colorado Springs, Colo., apartment on Oct. 4 was discovered at a Sag Harbor hotel. She had been missing since about Sept. 14.
Via GoFundMe

A Colorado missing persons case has resulted in a suspected murder arrest for a man whom police found staying at the Sag Harbor Inn. 

Sag Harbor Village police received a report on Oct. 4 from police in North Plainfield, N.J., that Masany Cruz, 29, of Colorado Springs, missing for about three weeks by then, might be at the inn. Instead, they found her husband, William Cruz, 31. Almost simultaneously, Colorado Springs police discovered Ms. Cruz's body in a suburban apartment.

Sag Harbor police took Mr. Cruz into custody, and then to a hospital for treatment for an unspecified problem, according to a press release from the New York State police.

Mr. Cruz had left Colorado on about Sept. 15; the last day Ms. Cruz had been heard from was Sept. 14, investigators said. 

Law enforcement officials in El Paso County, Colo., obtained an arrest warrant and New York State police arrested him as a "fugitive from justice" on Oct. 13. He was arraigned in Suffolk County First District Court last Thursday. A state police spokesman could not immediately provide information about Mr. Cruz's whereabouts from Oct. 4 to 13 or whether he had been in custody. 

After her death, Ms. Cruz was described on a fund-raiser web page as the mother of two children. Diana Fuentes, the organizer of a GoFundMe effort, wrote that Ms. Cruz's cremated remains would be taken home home to Plainfield. 

Her Facebook page listed her as a graduate of Dunellen High School in Middlesex, N.J. Ms. Cruz's most recent public social media post was on Sept. 12.

Who Was the Actual Driver?

A 14-year-old driving on Hand’s Creek Road on Jan. 19 was involved in an accident that eventually led to the arrest of his father on Feb. 3.

Feb 19, 2026

D.A. Refuses Plea Deal in Montauk Art Show Case

“One year of supervision is not sufficient for what she allegedly did,” Justice Steven Tekulsky said during a conference last Thursday with the attorney for Nicoly Ribeiro De Souza, who police said drove through an art show on the Montauk green in June, causing over $100,000 in damages.

Feb 12, 2026

Bostwick’s Burglar Charged and Sentenced

An East Quogue man police say broke into Bostwick’s on Pantigo Road last May was charged with third-degree burglary early Friday morning, and sentenced later that day to four years’ probation for a string of other burglaries from Southampton to East Hampton.

Feb 12, 2026

On the Logs 02.12.26

An appliance repair man from Mastic Beach told police on Feb. 3 that he’d been harassed over the phone by a Montauk homeowner’s son after he ran late to repair a washing machine.

Feb 12, 2026

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.