Skip to main content

Montauk's Ditch Witch Reports Burglary, Vandalism

Thu, 08/06/2020 - 15:41
The Ditch Witch food trailer as seen in 2012.
Morgan McGivern

This week someone broke into and vandalized the stalwart Ditch Witch trailer-kitchen, situated just off Ditch Plain and Otis Roads in Montauk. "It was left locked on Aug. 3, and then on Aug. 5 the owner returned at 6:15 a.m. and discovered there had been a break-in," according to Detective Sgt. Daniel Toia of the East Hampton Town police.

"We've been here 26 years and nothing of this nature has ever happened," the business posted on its Instagram account. "We were broken into, our Plexiglass barriers were smashed, our cash register broken open and destroyed." 

Ditch Witch, which is owned by Grant and Abby Monahan, was not open yesterday, the Instagram post goes on, because staff were cleaning and setting up the space. A shared picture showed a rummaged-through and destroyed interior, with a toppled cash register on its side, the receipt spool unfurled. 

Because the incident is under investigation, Detective Toia said, there would not be much information released. Police confirmed that the thieves took U.S. currency. "The one thing stolen from us that is somewhat recognizable is every two dollar bill we have ever received in 26 years," the business's post elaborated.

Ditch Witch asked the public to be on the lookout for anyone paying in $2 bills.

"The lack of respect in Montauk right now for local business owners is ridiculous. . . . We are dealing with running businesses safely due to Covid-19, but now we have to deal with this nonsense."

Anyone with information has been asked to call town police at 631-537-7575.

Who Was the Actual Driver?

A 14-year-old driving on Hand’s Creek Road on Jan. 19 was involved in an accident that eventually led to the arrest of his father on Feb. 3.

Feb 19, 2026

D.A. Refuses Plea Deal in Montauk Art Show Case

“One year of supervision is not sufficient for what she allegedly did,” Justice Steven Tekulsky said during a conference last Thursday with the attorney for Nicoly Ribeiro De Souza, who police said drove through an art show on the Montauk green in June, causing over $100,000 in damages.

Feb 12, 2026

Bostwick’s Burglar Charged and Sentenced

An East Quogue man police say broke into Bostwick’s on Pantigo Road last May was charged with third-degree burglary early Friday morning, and sentenced later that day to four years’ probation for a string of other burglaries from Southampton to East Hampton.

Feb 12, 2026

On the Logs 02.12.26

An appliance repair man from Mastic Beach told police on Feb. 3 that he’d been harassed over the phone by a Montauk homeowner’s son after he ran late to repair a washing machine.

Feb 12, 2026

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.