Skip to main content

On the Police Logs

Fri, 05/22/2020 - 10:50

East Hampton 

An officer responded on May 11 to a report of criminal trespassing at 31 Cedar Street, a vacant, unstable house owned by the town’s department of taxation. A board had been removed from a window, and several cement blocks were stacked up below it. The woman who reported the situation said she had not seen anyone around the property, and the officer saw no one inside. A maroon truck stops outside the house occasionally, according to police, so neighbors are keeping an eye out.

 Back on April 3, an employee of Creative Design Landscaping on Stephen Hand’s Path called police to say that a man he did not know had broken through the locked office door and confronted him, demanding to see “John.” Told that “John” was not there, he left. A surveillance camera captured the incident, however, and when John Gilhooley and Henry Tong, the employee’s supervisors, arrived soon after, they identified the intruder as a former friend whom neither had seen for a while. In the video, the man was seen carrying an armful of clothing from his truck and throwing it on the office floor.

East Hampton Village

A caller told police last week that a middle-aged woman had knocked repeatedly on her front door and then walked into her backyard on Woods Lane. An officer checked the yard, garage, and basement, finding all normal. Later it was determined that the woman who knocked had opened the backyard gate to let a deer out.

A tenant on Pantigo Road complained on May 11 that her landlord had been sending contractors to the property to do work without notifying her. This state of affairs puts her son and herself at risk for Covid-19, she said, and she wanted the situation documented.

A generator worth $2,000 was stolen from an unlocked storage shed on David’s Lane on the night of May 5, a project manager told police last week.

On the morning of May 13 police responded to a call about a dump truck obstructing traffic and spilling gravel at the Montauk Highway-Georgica Road intersection, but found no sign of the truck when they arrived.

Several delivery trucks and other vehicles parked at Two Mile Hollow Beach early on the afternoon of May 13 were reported to police as “suspicious,” but proved to belong to workers having their lunch.

A Conklin Terrace woman expressed concern on Friday that pesticides were being sprayed next door and she had not been notified. A technician told police he was using an organic-based cedar oil that did not require notification, but said he would check in with the neighbor before any future visits.


Charles Engstrom was leaving Montauk Beer and Soda on South Elmwood Avenue when he realized he had dropped his wallet. He went back inside and asked the owner, Olivia Malik, if she had seen it. She consulted video surveillance, which showed a man leaving the store, picking up the wallet, putting it in his pocket, taking a quick look into Mr. Engstom’s vehicle, and then taking off on a bicycle. Town police were able to trace the man to the Malibu Motel, but he denied picking up a wallet, claiming that he had dropped his cellphone and bent down to get it. He was taken back to Montauk Beer and Soda and made to watch the tape, which clearly showed him taking the wallet. Told he would be charged with larceny if he did not return it, the man retrieved it from his room at the motel and gave it to police. Since nothing was missing from it, Mr. Engstrom declined to press charges.

Sag Harbor

On the afternoon on May 12, a Bay Street man heard barking coming from wetlands behind his house and called police to say that a dog might be stuck in a swamp. An officer found no dog, so the barking must have been coming from somewhere else.

When it was reported on the morning of May 13 that employees of the Gulf station on Hampton Street were not wearing masks, police arrived to inform them that they should be. They complied immediately.

An ongoing dispute between two neighbors on Wilson Place brought police to the scene last Thursday after one of them complained that his neighbor had been doing renovations and burning materials in a barrel in the front yard. Police did find a barrel with burned debris in it, but it was covered and did not appear to violate any law.

A Redwood Road caller told police on Sunday afternoon that there were personal watercraft speeding in Sag Harbor Cove. The harbormaster found two watercraft and spoke to their owner about the cove’s five-mile-per-hour speed limit.

A Main Street woman received a harassing text message on Sunday, which said, in part, “You’re 32 years old what are you doing whoring around with someone who beats women.” She reported it to police.


Police went looking for a missing kayaker on Saturday after a kayak and paddle were found submerged north of Noyac Creek. It turned out that the kayaker had swum to shore, and bay constables later brought in the kayak and paddle


A roll of four-foot-wide black deer fencing that cost $200 was reported on Friday to have been stolen from Bonnie Newman’s Ardsley Road property. She had been keeping it under some shrubs since May 8, and had just noticed it was missing.

Thank you for reading . . . 
...Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.