Skip to main content

As the Sun Went Down

Thu, 05/23/2019 - 07:22



There were no arrests made by either the East Hampton Town or Village Police Departments on drunken-driving charges this past week. There was one such arrest in Sag Harbor, which took place as the sun went down on Halloween.

Sag Harbor Village police stopped Michael Beckman, 69, at about 5:30 p.m., saying his 2005 Mercedes Benz convertible had gone through a red light at the intersection of Main Street and Brick Kiln Road. He was pulled over by the Getty gas station and reportedly performed poorly on field sobriety tests. Back at police headquarters, on the advice of his attorney, Edward Burke Jr., he did not submit to a chemical test. Mr. Beckman was held overnight and arraigned Saturday on a misdemeanor charge of charge of driving while intoxicated.

In East Hampton Town, the number of arrests of all types are down this year from last. From Jan. 1 to Nov. 3, 2013, there were 757 arrests recorded; for 2014, the number is 623, a decrease of almost 18 percent.

The number of event calls, however, is up, from 15,962 last year to 16,807 so far this year, an increase of 5 percent. Michael D. Sarlo, the department’s chief, reflected on the diverging numbers in an email yesterday. With officers pressed by the increasing volume of calls, the time to do the kind of police work that results in arrests, such as on D.W.I. charges, can decrease, he said.

There are other factors as well. “We had four new detectives promoted,” he said, “replacing retirees and [other] promotions. Those promoted were four of our most productive patrol officers. They are replaced, in a staggered hiring plan, by rookies, who must field-train and ride in a double car for 160 hours.”

Chief Sarlo also noted that the department had lost one officer to budget cuts.

 

On the Police Logs 11.27.25

A Barry Lane, Springs, man told police that someone claiming to be from Amazon had called him in regard to a $996 charge on his account for an iPhone 16. When he said he didn’t have an Amazon account, he was transferred to someone who identified himself as a Social Security employee, accused him of money laundering, and told him to expect a call from Nassau County police.

Nov 27, 2025

Accused of Stealing Wipes

A homeless 22-year-old was arrested last week in Montauk, accused of stealing a package of wipes from the Montauk I.G.A. after having been being notified the week before that he was no longer allowed on the premises.

Nov 27, 2025

Hospitalized After Accident

Police reported only one accident on local roads recently that resulted in an injury, which happened on Nov. 11 in Montauk, after midnight.

Nov 27, 2025

Five-Day Sentence for 2023 Graffiti That Unnerved Montauk

A 76-year-old Montauk man was sentenced to five days in county jail, followed by three years of probation, for spray-painting swastikas and antisemitic phrases around the hamlet in late 2023. 

Nov 20, 2025

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.