Skip to main content

Galeano to Resign From Force

Thu, 05/23/2019 - 07:23



Julio Mario Galeano, an East Hampton Village police officer who allegedly used a house on Talmage Lane in East Hampton for a romantic encounter with a female member of the department in December without the permission of the house’s owner, will resign from the department effective Aug. 2.

Terms of his resignation are subject to ratification by the East Hampton Village Board, according to a statement issued Monday by Rebecca Molinaro, the village administrator. On Tuesday, Mayor Paul F. Rickenbach Jr. said that the board will hold a special session tomorrow, “at which time I contemplate that we will accept his resignation.”

Officer Galeano’s transgression, which allegedly took place on Dec. 30 when he and a traffic control officer met in the house, was the subject of a hearing on Friday. John G. Callahan, an attorney appointed by the village board as an independent officer to hear the disciplinary charges against Mr. Galeano, heard comments and testimony on Friday at the Emergency Services Building. It was up to Mr. Galeano as to whether or not the hearing would be open to the public. He opted for a closed hearing.

Jennifer Rosa, a traffic control officer, had previously worked at the Talmage Lane house as a cleaner and knew where a key was kept, according to police. The house’s owner was not there, but guests who were authorized to enter and stay at the house discovered the pair in December and called the police.

Ms. Rosa was fired from the Police Department in January. The department confiscated Mr. Galeano’s badge and gun and suspended him with pay, per the collective bargaining agreement between the village and the Police Benevolent Association. He denied the charges through the P.B.A.

On Feb. 11, Chief Gerard Larsen brought disciplinary charges against Mr. Galeano. Ten days later, the village board adopted new legislation on police discipline that does away with the arbitration procedures previously required and provides for dismissal as an option. On the same day, the board unanimously voted to suspend Mr. Galeano for 30 days without pay.

The P.B.A. filed a petition in Suffolk County Supreme Court seeking a temporary restraining order to prevent the new local law from going into effect, with an attorney for the union calling it a breach of contract. That petition was denied, and Ms. Molinaro said last week that the P.B.A. has withdrawn its challenge of the new law. Kevin Duchemin, a village police sergeant and president of the P.B.A., did not return a call seeking comment.

Mr. Galeano’s 30-day suspension expired on March 21 and he was returned to the payroll, but was required to stay at home, according to Chief Larsen.

Born in Colombia, Mr. Galeano, who began working as a village police officer in November 2004, is the only Latino officer on the force. In early 2013, the department recognized him for his role in the arrest and conviction the year before of a man accused of having sexual relations with a child.

 

On the Police Logs 11.27.25

A Barry Lane, Springs, man told police that someone claiming to be from Amazon had called him in regard to a $996 charge on his account for an iPhone 16. When he said he didn’t have an Amazon account, he was transferred to someone who identified himself as a Social Security employee, accused him of money laundering, and told him to expect a call from Nassau County police.

Nov 27, 2025

Accused of Stealing Wipes

A homeless 22-year-old was arrested last week in Montauk, accused of stealing a package of wipes from the Montauk I.G.A. after having been being notified the week before that he was no longer allowed on the premises.

Nov 27, 2025

Hospitalized After Accident

Police reported only one accident on local roads recently that resulted in an injury, which happened on Nov. 11 in Montauk, after midnight.

Nov 27, 2025

Five-Day Sentence for 2023 Graffiti That Unnerved Montauk

A 76-year-old Montauk man was sentenced to five days in county jail, followed by three years of probation, for spray-painting swastikas and antisemitic phrases around the hamlet in late 2023. 

Nov 20, 2025

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.