Skip to main content

Criminal Charges Dropped

Thu, 05/23/2019 - 07:11



An East Northport man was cleared of criminal charges in East Hampton Town Justice Court last Thursday. Peter Louis Zarcone, who was 36 when he was arrested in Montauk last summer, had been charged by East Hampton Town police with two instances of criminal mischief at the felony level.

However, the district attorney’s office took the unusual step last Thursday in East Hampton Town Justice Court of agreeing to a plea bargain that not only dropped the felonies but skipped charges at the misdemeanor level in exchange for Mr. Zarcone pleading guilty to disorderly conduct as a violation and doing 21 hours of community service. As a result, he will not have a criminal record.

Police had arrested Mr. Zarcone based on a video of an incident in the parking lot of the 7-Eleven on Main Street. According to Mr. Zarcone’s lawyer, Michael Helfer, a video on the same surveillance camera cleared his client of deliberately damaging another man’s car, which was at the heart of the allegations. “There was a surveillance tape that exonerated him,” Mr. Helfer said afterward.

Mr. Zarcone will be allowed to perform the 21 hours of community service near where he lives.

On the Police Logs 11.27.25

A Barry Lane, Springs, man told police that someone claiming to be from Amazon had called him in regard to a $996 charge on his account for an iPhone 16. When he said he didn’t have an Amazon account, he was transferred to someone who identified himself as a Social Security employee, accused him of money laundering, and told him to expect a call from Nassau County police.

Nov 27, 2025

Accused of Stealing Wipes

A homeless 22-year-old was arrested last week in Montauk, accused of stealing a package of wipes from the Montauk I.G.A. after having been being notified the week before that he was no longer allowed on the premises.

Nov 27, 2025

Hospitalized After Accident

Police reported only one accident on local roads recently that resulted in an injury, which happened on Nov. 11 in Montauk, after midnight.

Nov 27, 2025

Five-Day Sentence for 2023 Graffiti That Unnerved Montauk

A 76-year-old Montauk man was sentenced to five days in county jail, followed by three years of probation, for spray-painting swastikas and antisemitic phrases around the hamlet in late 2023. 

Nov 20, 2025

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.