Skip to main content

Charged in Cyclist’s Death

Thu, 05/23/2019 - 07:23

A Southampton man charged with drunken driving on May 2 after his car struck and killed a bicyclist on County Road 39 has been indicted by a grand jury on multiple felony charges, including manslaughter. Jesse Werner Steudte, 21, pleaded not guilty to the new charges at his arraignment Tuesday in the Central Islip courtroom of acting Supreme Court Justice Fernando Camacho.



Neil S. Fyfe, 29, a professional golf caddie from Aberdeen, Scotland, was biking home from his job at the Sebonack Club in Southampton when he was struck and killed by an eastbound 1990 Jeep. “Civilians in the area immediately started C.P.R. on Fyfe,” police said in a statement released the next day. He was taken by ambulance to Southampton Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.



According to Neil Metcalf, who covered the story for BBC Radio Scotland, Mr. Fyfe was an extremely popular man whose death shocked the Aberdeen community. Friends set up a memorial for him on a local news Facebook page called FubarNews. 



Mr. Steudte consented to have his blood drawn at Southampton Town police headquarters, as is done in the event of an alcohol-related fatality. According to the grand jury indictment, the results showed his blood-alcohol level to be .08 of 1 percent or higher. A .08 or higher reading triggers a drunken-driving charge in New York State.



Police closed the busy highway, congested with Friday-evening eastbound traffic, for seven hours as detectives, assisted by the district attorney’s vehicular crime unit and a forensic identification and collision reconstruction unit from the state police, reconstructed the sequence of events. According to the indictment, Mr. Steudte ran a red light just before the accident.



He faces three felony charges: one of manslaughter, for recklessly causing the death of Mr. Fyfe, and two of vehicular manslaughter. He also faces two drunken-driving charges and possession of marijuana.



If convicted of the manslaughter charge, he would be sentenced to prison for anywhere from 1 to 15 years.

On the Police Logs 11.27.25

A Barry Lane, Springs, man told police that someone claiming to be from Amazon had called him in regard to a $996 charge on his account for an iPhone 16. When he said he didn’t have an Amazon account, he was transferred to someone who identified himself as a Social Security employee, accused him of money laundering, and told him to expect a call from Nassau County police.

Nov 27, 2025

Accused of Stealing Wipes

A homeless 22-year-old was arrested last week in Montauk, accused of stealing a package of wipes from the Montauk I.G.A. after having been being notified the week before that he was no longer allowed on the premises.

Nov 27, 2025

Hospitalized After Accident

Police reported only one accident on local roads recently that resulted in an injury, which happened on Nov. 11 in Montauk, after midnight.

Nov 27, 2025

Five-Day Sentence for 2023 Graffiti That Unnerved Montauk

A 76-year-old Montauk man was sentenced to five days in county jail, followed by three years of probation, for spray-painting swastikas and antisemitic phrases around the hamlet in late 2023. 

Nov 20, 2025

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.