Skip to main content

Aftermath of an Accident

Thu, 05/23/2019 - 07:22



A Springs man convicted of disorderly conduct and resisting arrest in October after a three-day jury trial was sentenced last Thursday.

William Cuthbert, who turned 57 yesterday, was ordered to pay East Hampton Town Justice Court $1,575 in fines and fees. As a condition for avoiding probation, he was required to complete an anger-management course over the next year; failure to do so would result in his being resentenced. In addition, he must stay out of trouble with the law over the same time period.

As he stood before Justice Steven Tekulsky, Mr. Cuthbert proclaimed his innocence. Justice Tekulsky then reminded him that a jury of his peers had found him guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

Mr. Cuthbert was involved in a traffic accident in January, after which he had a verbal altercation, first with other drivers, then with a police officer. Jurors found that he had repeatedly screamed profanities at the officer as well as at other motorists, and that when the officer tried to arrest him he resisted. He had claimed on the stand that East Hampton Town police used “excessive force” in arresting him.

His lawyer, Joseph Giannini, said after the sentencing that the jury’s verdict would be appealed. Mr. Giannini, who declined further comment, had tried repeatedly during the trial, without success, to have the disorderly conduct charge thrown out, arguing that what happened that morning did not meet the legal definition of the violation. Mr. Cuthbert was found not guilty of a third charge, harassment.

Mr. Giannini cited as precedent a case in Rochester, N.Y., in which a man’s conviction for disorderly conduct was overturned on appeal. Justice Tekulsky denied his motion for dismissal, saying in his written decision that the two cases were not analogous on multiple levels.

Court-ordered anger management programs, often imposed in lieu of probation, must be paid for by the defendant, with fees based on a sliding scale depending upon the person’s income. Courts can order participation in these programs after conviction on a wide variety of crimes, excluding sexual offences.

 

On the Police Logs 11.27.25

A Barry Lane, Springs, man told police that someone claiming to be from Amazon had called him in regard to a $996 charge on his account for an iPhone 16. When he said he didn’t have an Amazon account, he was transferred to someone who identified himself as a Social Security employee, accused him of money laundering, and told him to expect a call from Nassau County police.

Nov 27, 2025

Accused of Stealing Wipes

A homeless 22-year-old was arrested last week in Montauk, accused of stealing a package of wipes from the Montauk I.G.A. after having been being notified the week before that he was no longer allowed on the premises.

Nov 27, 2025

Hospitalized After Accident

Police reported only one accident on local roads recently that resulted in an injury, which happened on Nov. 11 in Montauk, after midnight.

Nov 27, 2025

Five-Day Sentence for 2023 Graffiti That Unnerved Montauk

A 76-year-old Montauk man was sentenced to five days in county jail, followed by three years of probation, for spray-painting swastikas and antisemitic phrases around the hamlet in late 2023. 

Nov 20, 2025

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.