Bronco Campsey is the Suffolk County wrestling champion in the 126-pound weight class once again, the first Bonacker in modern history to capture the championship two years in a row.
Campsey won all of his matches at the county tournament at Stony Brook University last weekend, making him Bonac’s first back-to-back county finalist since Eric Kaufman in 1987. Campsey, a junior from Pierson High School, was also awarded the Section XI Champion of Champions honor for his record-breaking season. His career win total is now 122, as he continues to blast through the previous Bonac wrestling record of 102.
“He finally earned the recognition of Champion of Champions, which is voted on by the other champions,” said Ethan Mitchell, the head coach. “We are glad he was recognized by his peers since he easily had the toughest route to the championship.”
In the first round of 16, Campsey defeated Dario Guglielmo, a county champion from Ward Melville, 8-0 in a major decision. In the quarterfinals, he beat Mert Ozturk, an all-county wrestler from Lindenhurst Senior High School, 11-0 in another major decision. In the semifinals, Campsey defeated Thomas Smith of Bellport Senior High School in a 4-3 decision.
Campsey won his first-place match in a 4-1 decision, defeating Jaden Baron of Ward Melville with a takedown. It was a revenge match, as Campsey had lost to Baron at the Sprig Gardner Invitational in December.
“We are all so incredibly proud of Bronco and know even though this is an amazing accomplishment, he has not accomplished his overall goal of a state championship,” Mitchell said. “Now he’s focused on that.”
Earlier this winter, Campsey became the first wrestler in Bonac history to receive fan mail, a letter from 90-year-old Windmill Village resident, Carol Sherman. Ms. Sherman was thrilled to hear about his success at the Suffolk County Meet. “He’s my new hero!” she said.
Campsey heads up to M.V.P. Arena in Albany to compete in the New York State championship on Feb. 27 and 28.
“Bronco has made us all very proud,” Kathy Masterson, East Hampton’s athletic director, said. “We look forward to a great state tournament.”