Firefighters and an ambulance responded to a carbon monoxide call on Jan. 29 at a house on Bluff Road, where construction was ongoing. One worker, complaining of weakness and dizziness, was treated for inhalation while the fire department vented the building. The apparent cause, according to the report, was a generator. It was outside the building, but not far enough away from two open sliding-glass doors.
Tom Bass of Roberts Lane can hear vehicles racing “at all hours of the day and night” in his neighborhood, he told police when he called on the morning of Jan. 29. With the high school nearby on Long Lane, Mr. Bass suggested to police that “the town place traffic cameras on Long Lane to discourage this type of behavior, before any East Hampton High School students get killed or injured.”
Later that day, a resident of Accabonac Road told police that someone had placed dog feces on her front porch. The woman and an officer “used a nearby stick to obtain a sample of the pile,” and determined upon closer examination that it “did not emit the odor of feces.” They concluded it was likely a small heap of dirt, “possibly left from the previous night’s rain.”
An East Hampton man requested help from the police on Friday afternoon after his dog, a 13-year-old Labrador retriever, died suddenly during a walk at Cedar Point County Park.
East Hampton Village
Police were summoned to check on a road hazard on the morning of Jan. 29, on Montauk Highway at Georgica Road. An officer found a bag of trash in the road, which he moved out of traffic’s way.
John Frusci reported seeing a “suspicious person” in the vicinity of the Montauk Coast Guard station on Star Island Road on Jan. 30 at around 6:30 p.m. He told police he shouted at the man to ask what he was doing, but the man “started walking at a fast pace away from the dock.” Because it was dark, Mr. Frusci said, he didn’t get a good description. An officer canvassed the area but did not find the man.
Christopher Kohan, the caretaker for the Victor D’Amico Institute for Art on Napeague Meadow Lane, better known as the Art Barge, reported on Jan. 31 that someone had vandalized the center’s sign, inserting an “F” in front of “ART.” Mr. Kohan told police he would send them photos of a vehicle he thought could be involved.
A fracture in Nicholas Kilner’s shop window expanded after a large truck rumbled down Madison Street on Jan. 24 and the entire window shattered.
Someone called the cops on the morning of Jan. 25 to report a swan in distress at the Ferry Road corner of Main Street. The swan turned out to be fine, but a week later, a Main Street resident called after finding a raccoon that was definitely not okay stuck in a porch railing. An officer told her to call an exterminator.
Robert Coburn of West Water Street notified police after spotting a black drone flying over his property on Jan. 31. At one point, he said, the drone had hovered a mere 10 feet over his pool, and he became concerned it was recording video footage without permission.
A passer-by who gave her name only as Sophie reported Friday afternoon that “two Black men were smoking weed in front of Murf’s Tavern.” Officers dismissed the call: It is no longer illegal in New York State for adults to smoke marijuana.
Twice in the last week, a valuable missing item was reunited with its owner after being turned in to police. On Saturday, it was a clutch handbag; on Monday, it was an iPad. Also turned in last week, after being found on Division Street, was a bag of tools; anyone who is missing his or her hammer can inquire at headquarters.
Genevieve Willock of Gardiner Avenue reported Sunday afternoon that a thief had stolen all the eggs she was selling from in front of her house.
On Jan. 28, while on an afternoon patrol of Sammis Beach, Harbormaster Tim Treadwell found a “7-cubic-foot deep freezer” along the shore, apparently washed up from Three Mile Harbor. He hauled it out of the water before it could get pulled back into the channel and took it to the town dump for disposal.