Skip to main content

Indicted in Rape of a Child

Thu, 04/02/2026 - 08:53

A Springs man charged recently with felony sexual abuse of a child has been indicted by a grand jury and is being held in police custody in high bail.

Elias Corado DeLeon was arraigned Monday in Suffolk County Criminal Court on 10 charges stemming from alleged sexual abuse of a child. The top charges, three counts of rape in the first degree, each carry a penalty of up to 25 years in prison.

The accused man pleaded not guilty to all charges. Justice Karen M. Wilutis issued a temporary order of protection to the victim and held the defendant in $1 million cash bail or $3 million bond. He is being held in the county jail in Riverside.

East Hampton Town detectives report that Mr. Corado DeLeon, who is 21, admitted having had a relationship with the child, who was 10 years old when it began. Police said the abuse ended in 2025, when the child was 14. The man was arrested on March 12.

In addition to the top charges, Mr. Corado DeLeon faces additional felony counts of first degree sexual conduct against a child, attempted rape in the first degree, and rape in the second degree. He is also accused of endangering the welfare of a child, a misdemeanor.

He is represented by Tara Laterza Esq. of East Moriches, who was appointed by the court. He will appear there again on May 21.       

 

Accident by the Train Station

A head-on collision on Montauk Highway near the Amagansett railroad crossing last week left four people injured.

May 14, 2026

An ‘In-Depth Look’ at Crime Here in 2025

Arrests across East Hampton Town were down last year, as were overall calls to town police, according to the department’s year-end report. Motor vehicle accidents are also trending down.

May 7, 2026

EpiPens Now in Town Police Cars

The East Hampton Healthcare Foundation has donated 26 two-packs of EpiPens, pre-loaded syringes that defend against the allergic reaction known as anaphylaxis, to East Hampton Town.

May 7, 2026

On the Police Logs 05.07.26

Kids were reported to be running amok at BonBon, a candy shop in Sag Harbor, last week. An employee told police that “very young kids” took too many candy samples and other items.

May 7, 2026

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.