Skip to main content

One Hole Too Many for Amagansett Bridge

Mon, 05/08/2023 - 13:10
A hole in the pavement on the Cranberry Hole Road railroad bridge in Amagansett revealed the wooden timbers beneath it.
Fiona Bennett

East Hampton Town officials indefinitely closed the rickety asphalt-covered bridge above the Long Island Rail Road track on Cranberry Hole Road in Amagansett after a sizable hole appeared in it on Sunday.

According to the East Hampton Town Police Department's call log, a "road hazard" was reported at 11:02 a.m. on Sunday. The department posted a notice on Facebook at about 5:30 p.m. that the bridge was "temporarily closed until further notice. Please make alternate route plans to avoid this closed section of roadway."

Highway Superintendent Steve Lynch suggested that drivers use Abram's Landing Road or, farther down Montauk Highway to the east, Napeague Meadow Road, to reach Cranberry Hole Road. Drivers had been forced to navigate around lesser gaps in the road surface for months.

The bridge could be closed for a long time. Durell Godfrey

Mr. Lynch said that though the town maintains the pavement on top of the mostly wooden structure, the bridge itself was owned by the railroad.

In a statement issue on Monday, the Long Island Rail Road said that the bridge was, in fact, owned by the Town of East Hampton.

"Every time we do a repair, it pops out because all the wood underneath is flexing so bad," Mr. Lynch said. "As one car goes over, you can see the whole thing flexes, so it's hard to get asphalt to stick to it. We closed it before somebody gets hurt."

Mr. Lynch said he expected to meet with an inspector and engineer from the railroad in the coming days to fix the problem.

The bridge, built in 1895, last had major repairs in 2007.

"This isn't the first time it happened, but it's been a while," Mr. Lynch said.

The L.I.R.R. said that the problem with the bridge was not affecting train traffic.

Who Was the Actual Driver?

A 14-year-old driving on Hand’s Creek Road on Jan. 19 was involved in an accident that eventually led to the arrest of his father on Feb. 3.

Feb 19, 2026

D.A. Refuses Plea Deal in Montauk Art Show Case

“One year of supervision is not sufficient for what she allegedly did,” Justice Steven Tekulsky said during a conference last Thursday with the attorney for Nicoly Ribeiro De Souza, who police said drove through an art show on the Montauk green in June, causing over $100,000 in damages.

Feb 12, 2026

Bostwick’s Burglar Charged and Sentenced

An East Quogue man police say broke into Bostwick’s on Pantigo Road last May was charged with third-degree burglary early Friday morning, and sentenced later that day to four years’ probation for a string of other burglaries from Southampton to East Hampton.

Feb 12, 2026

On the Logs 02.12.26

An appliance repair man from Mastic Beach told police on Feb. 3 that he’d been harassed over the phone by a Montauk homeowner’s son after he ran late to repair a washing machine.

Feb 12, 2026

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.