Skip to main content

On the Police Logs 03.23.23

Thu, 03/23/2023 - 11:01


Wayne Gauger of Oak Lane went to police headquarters on Friday to report a trespasser whom he has seen twice on his property. Mr. Gauger has now filed a criminal affidavit, meaning that if the unidentified man is caught returning, he will be arrested.

East Hampton

Johnny Sanchez thought it was a police car pulling him over on March 9 as he swerved onto the right shoulder to pass a delivery truck parked in the middle of Pantigo Road near Town Justice Court. The blue-and-red flashing lights in his rearview mirror were coming from a black Chevrolet S.U.V., but its driver wasn’t a police officer. The two men argued, and Mr. Sanchez called police at around noon to report the incident.

East Hampton Village

Twice on the afternoon of March 14, a burglar alarm went off at 61 Further Lane. Both instances turned out to be false alarms.


Dolores Rigano of North Farragut Road reported on March 10 that the security warning sign on her property had been stolen.

Carter Black of Montauk blamed his dog for the head-on car accident he was involved in last Thursday at about 4:30 p.m. on West Lake Drive near South Fairview Avenue. Mr. Black, driving a Ford S.U.V., told police the dog had jumped onto his lap, causing him to swerve into the oncoming lane. No injuries were reported.

Sag Harbor

Justin Franks’s security system notified him at around 10:30 p.m. last Thursday that there were people on his Terry Drive property. He suspected intruders and called police, but they proved to be employees of the contractor performing work there — albeit very late.

A call at around 10 on Saturday night about a possible intruder at Genevieve Roeloffs’s Madison Street house turned up not a human trespasser, but rather a bird that appeared to have been attacked by a cat.

It took four parking tickets and a week of close monitoring by traffic control officers, but a car with Tennessee license plates, which had been left on Main Street between 4 and 6 a.m. for several days in violation of the village code, was moved over the weekend after police finally made contact with its owner.

Laura Greenwald of Main Street reported a possible real estate scam on March 14 after receiving a call from her alarm company that someone pretending to be the new homeowner there had requested access to the property. The caller turned out to be a 67-year-old woman who is known to police as a repeat troublemaker. Ms. Greenwald is not pressing charges.

Officers responded last week to two reports of loud parties, one at a Main Street residence on March 14 at about 2 a.m. and another at a house on Walker Avenue on Friday, which was St. Patrick’s Day, at about 11 p.m. In both instances, music could be heard from the street. Both party hosts turned off the music at the officers’ requests.


After returning from an afternoon trip to the grocery store on March 13, Marilyn Palmer of Isle of Wight Road noticed antique jewelry and old family photos missing from her bedroom and contacted the police. An officer interviewed three people in connection with the report, but no arrests have been made.


A former employee of the Speedway gas station, who had stopped showing up for his shifts after less than two months on the job, has been accused of stealing $445 in merchandise. His name was withheld from a heavily redacted police report, which was dated Feb. 23 but just released this week.

Thank you for reading . . . 
...Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.