Skip to main content

Sex Offender Gave No Notice

Thu, 01/13/2022 - 10:18

East Hampton Town police charged a registered sex offender last week with failing to notify the authorities of a change in his address within 10 days of moving, as is required by state law.

This is the third time that Dennis R. Walker Jr., 50, a Level 1 sex offender, has been so charged. This time around, he reportedly moved from a Montauk Highway house to one on Wainscott Northwest Road, both in Wainscott, without notifying the State Department of Criminal Justice Services. A witness report led police to catch up with him at the latter residence on the afternoon of Jan. 4.

Mr. Walker was reported to have faced the same allegations in August 2011 and July 2019, and was convicted both times, raising last week’s arrest to the felony level. His status as a registered offender stems from a 2008 conviction of sex contact with a child under 11 years old.

Justice Lisa R. Rana ordered him held without bail. He is due to return to court on Jan. 26.

In other police news, two local men have been charged with misdemeanor assault following separate fights, one on a boat at a Montauk dock; the other at a house off Stephen Hand’s Path in East Hampton.

In the latter incident, police said that on Jan. 3 at 11 a.m., Paul H. Fried of East Hampton, 62, attacked a woman at his residence, punching her face, pushing her, and tackling her to the point where she felt “substantial pain” and needed medical attention. Mr. Fried was arrested on Jan. 5; his third-degree assault charge indicates “intent to cause physical injury.” He was arraigned last Thursday morning and released on his own recognizance by Justice Rana. He was to appear in court again this morning.

Aboard a fishing boat, the Braedon Michael, docked off West Lake Drive on Dec. 27, Christopher G. Leonard of Montauk, 51, allegedly kicked, punched, and pushed another man, according to a police report released just this week. The injured man needed immediate medical attention, police said, including “numerous stitches” to his lip. Mr. Leonard, also charged with third-degree assault, was arraigned the next morning; Justice Rana remanded him to the custody of the Suffolk County Police Department.

Thank you for reading . . . 
...Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.