Skip to main content

Judge Denies Streep's Motion to Dismiss Civil Case

Thu, 04/01/2021 - 16:02
David Peralta, right, and his attorney, Edmond Chakmakian, outside East Hampton Town Justice Court in October
Bella Lewis

A New York County Supreme Court judge has denied Charles Streep's motion to dismiss a civil case brought against him by David Peralta following an August altercation between the two men in East Hampton that left the teenage Mr. Peralta with what his attorney describes as life-altering brain injuries. The judge, Barbara Jaffe, granted Mr. Streep's motion to dismiss charges of negligence, and stayed the civil case while the criminal one in Riverhead is underway.

"Each matter concerns the same incident, and a conviction in the criminal case would likely estop defendant from denying certain facts, thereby simplifying the issues," Judge Jaffe wrote in her ruling, providing reason for putting the case on hold. She noted that any delay in criminal proceedings, however, gives Mr. Peralta "the right to move to vacate the stay."

As for the incident in late August, witnesses say it followed an argument over a near collision when Mr. Streep, a nephew of the actress Meryl Streep, ran a stop sign in a bank parking lot. The older man, reportedly using a racial epithet, allegedly choked Mr. Peralta, then 18, until he was unconscious, and then slammed him into the pavement.

Mr. Peralta's claims for intentional assault, battery, and punitive damages still stand, while those "for negligence and gross negligence are severed and dismissed," Judge Jaffe ruled.

"To be held liable for negligence, the defendant must have breached a duty of care owed to the plaintiff. Negligence claims, in contrast to those for assault and battery, lack the element of intent, and thus, allegations of intentional conduct preclude a claim of negligence, as the two states of mind cannot coexist," the judge wrote.

"The practical effect of the dismissal of the negligence claims will be the refusal of Streep's insurance company to pay for any of David's losses. Therefore Streep will pay David from his own, or his families' pockets. I'm puzzled as to why his attorneys would even seek that result. But I'm not displeased that Streep will personally be responsible for the damage he's caused," said Edmond Chakmakian, Mr. Peralta's attorney.

Mr. Peralta, who required emergency brain surgery following the incident and was not able to resume his studies at John Jay College of Criminal Justice this year, has about $100,000 worth of medical bills, $41,505 of which have been met by a GoFundMe page set up to help him.

Additionally, Judge Jaffe refused to have the case transferred from New York County to Suffolk County. Mr. Chakmakian had opposed this motion from Mr. Streep because his three witnesses, as well as Mr. Streep himself, live in Manhattan.

Andrew Weinstein, Mr. Steep's attorney in the criminal case, and his civil attorney, Randy Mastro, who is Rudy Giuliani's personal attorney and a former New York City deputy mayor of operations, had no comment. Mr. Streep is due in court again on April 29.


This story has been updated since it was first published.

On the Police Logs 11.27.25

A Barry Lane, Springs, man told police that someone claiming to be from Amazon had called him in regard to a $996 charge on his account for an iPhone 16. When he said he didn’t have an Amazon account, he was transferred to someone who identified himself as a Social Security employee, accused him of money laundering, and told him to expect a call from Nassau County police.

Nov 27, 2025

Accused of Stealing Wipes

A homeless 22-year-old was arrested last week in Montauk, accused of stealing a package of wipes from the Montauk I.G.A. after having been being notified the week before that he was no longer allowed on the premises.

Nov 27, 2025

Hospitalized After Accident

Police reported only one accident on local roads recently that resulted in an injury, which happened on Nov. 11 in Montauk, after midnight.

Nov 27, 2025

Five-Day Sentence for 2023 Graffiti That Unnerved Montauk

A 76-year-old Montauk man was sentenced to five days in county jail, followed by three years of probation, for spray-painting swastikas and antisemitic phrases around the hamlet in late 2023. 

Nov 20, 2025

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.