Skip to main content

Drivers Sans Licenses, Plates

Thu, 06/18/2020 - 17:51

On the night of June 6, on Route 114 in East Hampton, town police stopped a black 2020 Land Rover driven by Jefferson Salazar, 35, of Miami, and wound up charging him with aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle. He appeared in East Hampton Town Justice Court yesterday and was released on his own recognizance.

Police leveled the same charge on Friday night against Roger Kassokro of the Bronx, 63, after stopping his 2016 white Ford van on Stephen Hand's Path. He was released in the field with a court date of July 1.

In Sag Harbor on June 9, at the intersection of Brick Kiln and Noyac Roads, village police pulled over a 2004 Chevrolet driven by Fernando Diaz Garro, 60, of Southampton after reportedly spotting a broken brake light on his car. A computer check turned up a 2010 license suspension for failure to answer a summons, and he was charged with aggravated unlicensed operation as well as a violation. He will appear in Sag Harbor Justice Court on Friday, June 26.

On June 10, David Lemos-Herrera, 22, of Hampton Bays was driving a 2010 gray Hyundai on Ferry Road in North Haven when police noticed the car had no front license plate. After pulling it over, they found that its registration had been suspended for an insurance lapse, and charged the driver with that offense as well as the license plate violation. He too is to appear in court on Friday, June 26.

Back in Sag Harbor last Thursday night, during a storm, a 2004 Jeep driven by Jose M. Guzman-Herrera, 31, of Flanders, rear-ended a 2015 Chevrolet that was westbound on Jermain Avenue, headed for Main Street. Mr. Guzman-Herrera told police the rain had made it hard to see. The name of the driver in front of him was not given, but police reported that neither driver was injured.

They found, however, that Mr. Guzman-Herrera's license had been revoked last year for lack of insurance, and charged him with aggravated unlicensed operation. He was processed and released in the field and will be in court on Friday, June 26. Justice Lisa R. Rana will preside over all three vehicle-related cases.

Who Was the Actual Driver?

A 14-year-old driving on Hand’s Creek Road on Jan. 19 was involved in an accident that eventually led to the arrest of his father on Feb. 3.

Feb 19, 2026

D.A. Refuses Plea Deal in Montauk Art Show Case

“One year of supervision is not sufficient for what she allegedly did,” Justice Steven Tekulsky said during a conference last Thursday with the attorney for Nicoly Ribeiro De Souza, who police said drove through an art show on the Montauk green in June, causing over $100,000 in damages.

Feb 12, 2026

Bostwick’s Burglar Charged and Sentenced

An East Quogue man police say broke into Bostwick’s on Pantigo Road last May was charged with third-degree burglary early Friday morning, and sentenced later that day to four years’ probation for a string of other burglaries from Southampton to East Hampton.

Feb 12, 2026

On the Logs 02.12.26

An appliance repair man from Mastic Beach told police on Feb. 3 that he’d been harassed over the phone by a Montauk homeowner’s son after he ran late to repair a washing machine.

Feb 12, 2026

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.