Skip to main content

This Time, It Is a Felony

Thu, 05/23/2019 - 07:22

A 25-year-old Springs man who has been in trouble with the law several times since he turned 18 was arrested again last week, this time on a felony charge.



Kody J. Knudsen was said by East Hampton Town police to have been driving a 2004 Chevrolet without its owner’s permission when he was pulled over on Three Mile Harbor Road in Springs a little after midnight last Thursday. According to police, Mr. Knudsen drove the car out of the parking lot at Wolfie’s Tavern on Fort Pond Boulevard.



Normally, unauthorized use of a vehicle is a misdemeanor, but because Mr. Knudsen has twice been convicted of the same crime, at the ages of 19 and 20, the charge was automatically elevated.



He was charged additionally with unlicensed driving, a misdemeanor. According to the arrest report, his driver’s license was revoked when he was 18 because of a drunken-driving conviction.



Last year Mr. Knudsen was arrested twice in one week, first for punching another man. He pleaded guilty to that charge, a simple violation, in January. The other charge, criminal mischief, for allegedly destroying property belonging to his mother, was dropped.



When he was arraigned last year on the criminal mischief charge, a felony, East Hampton Town Justice Lisa R. Rana told him, “You’ve run out of chances.” That, apparently, was Justice Steven Tekulsky’s thinking as well when he set bail Saturday morning at $1,000. Unable to post bail, Mr. Knudsen was remanded to the county jail in Yaphank. He is scheduled to be released today barring a grand jury indictment.



Roads in both East Hampton Town and Village saw no drunken-driving arrests over the past week. In eastern Southampton Town, there was one, on Noyac Road near Bayview Drive Sunday morning. Police charged Jose J. Reyes of Brooklyn, 25, after he crashed his car into a tree, and also charged him with unlicensed driving. Information as to bail was not available.

 

On the Police Logs 11.27.25

A Barry Lane, Springs, man told police that someone claiming to be from Amazon had called him in regard to a $996 charge on his account for an iPhone 16. When he said he didn’t have an Amazon account, he was transferred to someone who identified himself as a Social Security employee, accused him of money laundering, and told him to expect a call from Nassau County police.

Nov 27, 2025

Accused of Stealing Wipes

A homeless 22-year-old was arrested last week in Montauk, accused of stealing a package of wipes from the Montauk I.G.A. after having been being notified the week before that he was no longer allowed on the premises.

Nov 27, 2025

Hospitalized After Accident

Police reported only one accident on local roads recently that resulted in an injury, which happened on Nov. 11 in Montauk, after midnight.

Nov 27, 2025

Five-Day Sentence for 2023 Graffiti That Unnerved Montauk

A 76-year-old Montauk man was sentenced to five days in county jail, followed by three years of probation, for spray-painting swastikas and antisemitic phrases around the hamlet in late 2023. 

Nov 20, 2025

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.