Skip to main content

Sag Harbor Detective Faces Charges

Thu, 05/23/2019 - 07:11

The Sag Harbor Village Police Department is without a detective after its sole detective was brought up on disciplinary charges.

The Sag Harbor Village Board approved the suspension of Jeffrey Proctor during a special meeting on March 23 following a recommendation from Chief Austin McGuire that had been discussed in executive session. Detective Proctor is entitled to a hearing, and the board appointed John G. Callahan, an attorney from White Plains, as the hearing officer. He was suspended for 30 days without pay, and has since been put on administrative leave with pay until the hearing can be scheduled.

Reached on Monday, Detective Proctor, who was named the village’s Officer of the Year at a 2014 Southampton Kiwanis Club dinner, said he hoped to be back to work soon, but declined to comment further. Davis and Ferber, an Islandia firm that represents the Sag Harbor Village Police Benevolence Association, is defending Detective Proctor on the charges.

Patrick Milazzo, the president of the P.B.A. and a village officer, said that while he could not discuss details, the charges are administrative in nature. “He’s not charged with any violation of law or anything like that,” Mr. Milazzo said. “I think the charges are weak. I think that if the village were to investigate a little bit deeper . . . they would find that to be the case. . . . Sometimes in a small town people listen to rumors a little bit more than they should.”

“The village can look forward to a vigorous defense,” Mr. Milazzo added.

“Unfortunately, it’s a personnel matter that I can’t comment on,” Chief McGuire said this week. Without a detective, the state police are being brought in to help the village police with investigations, like a burglary this week at the Sag Harbor Variety store, he said. 

Sag Harbor Village Mayor Sandra Schroeder said the matter was confidential and declined to comment. Vincent Toomey of New Hyde Park, the village’s labor attorney, will represent the village at the hearing.

On the Police Logs 11.27.25

A Barry Lane, Springs, man told police that someone claiming to be from Amazon had called him in regard to a $996 charge on his account for an iPhone 16. When he said he didn’t have an Amazon account, he was transferred to someone who identified himself as a Social Security employee, accused him of money laundering, and told him to expect a call from Nassau County police.

Nov 27, 2025

Accused of Stealing Wipes

A homeless 22-year-old was arrested last week in Montauk, accused of stealing a package of wipes from the Montauk I.G.A. after having been being notified the week before that he was no longer allowed on the premises.

Nov 27, 2025

Hospitalized After Accident

Police reported only one accident on local roads recently that resulted in an injury, which happened on Nov. 11 in Montauk, after midnight.

Nov 27, 2025

Five-Day Sentence for 2023 Graffiti That Unnerved Montauk

A 76-year-old Montauk man was sentenced to five days in county jail, followed by three years of probation, for spray-painting swastikas and antisemitic phrases around the hamlet in late 2023. 

Nov 20, 2025

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.