Skip to main content

Quick Response, Bad Damage Nonetheless

Thu, 05/23/2019 - 07:23
Most of the front of a house at 52 Cedar Drive in Springs was charred in a fire Tuesday that investigators believe started on the exterior.

The Springs Fire Department quickly extinguished a fire that was believed to have started on the exterior of a house in Springs on Tuesday evening, but the house was badly damaged, according to Chief Ben Miller.



A neighbor reported flames at 52 Cedar Drive, between Locust and Dogwood Drives, at 5:46 p.m., according to the chief. The fire, which he said started to the left of the front door, had already traveled up the side of the house and into the eaves, burning through the attic.



No one was home at the time.



“We knocked it down in 15 minutes, and the rest was overhaul,” Chief Miller said, adding that the department used a nearby hydrant for water supply. “We made a good stop.”



The house is not livable at this time, the chief said. Most of the front wall was burned, basement stairwells were badly damaged, and part of the roof collapsed on the one-story, two-bedroom house. The rest of the house sustained smoke damage, he said.



The East Hampton fire marshal’s office, which is investigating the fire, had not determined its cause as of yesterday, said Tom Baker, a fire marshal, but Chief Miller said he does not believe it is suspicious. Mr. Baker was to meet a homeowner at the property yesterday morning. The tax receiver’s office lists Robert and Susan Jones of Massapequa as the owners.



The East Hampton Fire Department’s rapid intervention team also responded to assist. In total, there were about 35 volunteers at the fire.



Just a few minutes after the first arriving chief confirmed the house was ablaze, an accident was reported elsewhere in the fire district. Since the Springs Fire Department’s fleet was responding to the fire, Chief Miller immediately asked the East Hampton Fire Department and East Hampton Village Volunteer Ambulance Association to respond to the intersection of Holly Oak Avenue and Church Lane. Chief Miller said an assistant captain who lives in the area passed by the two-car accident on his way to the fire.

On the Police Logs 11.27.25

A Barry Lane, Springs, man told police that someone claiming to be from Amazon had called him in regard to a $996 charge on his account for an iPhone 16. When he said he didn’t have an Amazon account, he was transferred to someone who identified himself as a Social Security employee, accused him of money laundering, and told him to expect a call from Nassau County police.

Nov 27, 2025

Accused of Stealing Wipes

A homeless 22-year-old was arrested last week in Montauk, accused of stealing a package of wipes from the Montauk I.G.A. after having been being notified the week before that he was no longer allowed on the premises.

Nov 27, 2025

Hospitalized After Accident

Police reported only one accident on local roads recently that resulted in an injury, which happened on Nov. 11 in Montauk, after midnight.

Nov 27, 2025

Five-Day Sentence for 2023 Graffiti That Unnerved Montauk

A 76-year-old Montauk man was sentenced to five days in county jail, followed by three years of probation, for spray-painting swastikas and antisemitic phrases around the hamlet in late 2023. 

Nov 20, 2025

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.