Skip to main content

Indicted in Rape of Minors

Thu, 05/23/2019 - 07:11

Two men arrested recently by East Hampton Town police on felony charges have been indicted by grand juries, and could face significant jail time if convicted. 

On Nov. 8, detectives charged Benjamin J. Lehman, 25, with three counts of rape involving two 16-year-old girls, whose names were withheld under state law. “I might have hooked up with her, but I didn’t rape her,” he said of one of the alleged victims. The incidents reportedly occurred between March and August.

Anyone older than 21 having sex with someone under 17 is considered to have committed rape in New York State.

Mr. Lehman, formerly of Sag Harbor and most recently of the Oakview Highway trailer park in East Hampton, was initially held at the county jail in Riverside, unable to meet the $15,000 bail set by East Hampton Town Justice Steven Tekulsky. 

He was brought back to the local court on Monday and would have been released had he not been indicted. He broke down crying when he was told that an indictment had been obtained. 

The grand jury added two more felony charges of rape. Mr. Lehman now faces a total of five, plus two misdemeanor charges of endangering the welfare of a minor. 

Remanded without the possibility of bail and since transferred to the county jail in Yaphank, he will be re-arraigned in the Riverside courtroom of State Supreme Court Justice Barbara Kahn on Monday. Justice Kahn’s court handles felony sex crimes in Suffolk County.

The other man, Robert J. Dozier of Mastic, 53, was indicted last Thursday for felony drunken driving, among other charges. He too had been scheduled for release under state law; in his case by last Friday. With five prior felony convictions, Mr. Dozier could end up being sentenced as a habitual felon. He too is being held in Riverside without bail. Details of his re-arraignment were not immediately available.

On the Police Logs 11.27.25

A Barry Lane, Springs, man told police that someone claiming to be from Amazon had called him in regard to a $996 charge on his account for an iPhone 16. When he said he didn’t have an Amazon account, he was transferred to someone who identified himself as a Social Security employee, accused him of money laundering, and told him to expect a call from Nassau County police.

Nov 27, 2025

Accused of Stealing Wipes

A homeless 22-year-old was arrested last week in Montauk, accused of stealing a package of wipes from the Montauk I.G.A. after having been being notified the week before that he was no longer allowed on the premises.

Nov 27, 2025

Hospitalized After Accident

Police reported only one accident on local roads recently that resulted in an injury, which happened on Nov. 11 in Montauk, after midnight.

Nov 27, 2025

Five-Day Sentence for 2023 Graffiti That Unnerved Montauk

A 76-year-old Montauk man was sentenced to five days in county jail, followed by three years of probation, for spray-painting swastikas and antisemitic phrases around the hamlet in late 2023. 

Nov 20, 2025

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.