Skip to main content

Incompetent to Stand Trial

Thu, 05/23/2019 - 07:22



A man who walked the grounds of the Jewish Center of the Hamptons on Oct. 8 carrying a spring-loaded baton, classified by East Hampton Village police as a weapon, has been found mentally incompetent to stand trial, it was announced last Thursday in East Hampton Town Justice Court. Justice Steven Tekulsky had sent Daniel Glazer, 41, of Rego Park, for psychiatric evaluation two days after the incident.

Mr. Glazer was arrested in downtown Montauk on Oct. 9. Because of the finding, however, the two misdemeanor charges against him will be dropped. The state now has 90 days to place the man in a mental health treatment facility; he will be released if and when found to be sane.

Another man found mentally incompetent by Suffolk County doctors faces a different future. David Osiecki, who was indicted for arson, a felony, by a grand jury on Oct. 2, had languished in county jail for months since his April arrest. He was accused of starting a fire that caused extensive damage to a Bridgehampton house. After his arrest, Southampton Town Justice Andrea Schiavoni sent him for psychiatric evaluation, and he was found mentally incompetent.

A felony charge, however, is not automatically dropped following that finding. Mr. Osiecki’s case is now before acting Supreme Court Justice Fernando Camacho in Central Islip, who sent the defendant for another round of tests on Oct. 10. The results will be revealed during Mr. Osiecki’s next court appearance on Nov. 13.

Edward Burke Jr., who represented Mr. Osiecki during his springtime court appearances in Southampton, said that should he ever be found sane, he can be tried for the crime with which he was charged, arson.

 

On the Police Logs 11.27.25

A Barry Lane, Springs, man told police that someone claiming to be from Amazon had called him in regard to a $996 charge on his account for an iPhone 16. When he said he didn’t have an Amazon account, he was transferred to someone who identified himself as a Social Security employee, accused him of money laundering, and told him to expect a call from Nassau County police.

Nov 27, 2025

Accused of Stealing Wipes

A homeless 22-year-old was arrested last week in Montauk, accused of stealing a package of wipes from the Montauk I.G.A. after having been being notified the week before that he was no longer allowed on the premises.

Nov 27, 2025

Hospitalized After Accident

Police reported only one accident on local roads recently that resulted in an injury, which happened on Nov. 11 in Montauk, after midnight.

Nov 27, 2025

Five-Day Sentence for 2023 Graffiti That Unnerved Montauk

A 76-year-old Montauk man was sentenced to five days in county jail, followed by three years of probation, for spray-painting swastikas and antisemitic phrases around the hamlet in late 2023. 

Nov 20, 2025

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.