Skip to main content

Charged in String of Burglaries

Thu, 05/23/2019 - 06:41

A career criminal already behind bars has now been charged with six more felony counts after an investigation by Southampton Town detectives into a string of burglaries between March and May.

Richard Ambrose, 40, of Shirley was taken to Southampton Town Justice Court from the county jail in Riverside on Jan. 12 and arraigned on the new charges.

Southampton Village police had arrested him on Sept. 16 on a burglary charge, and a grand jury indicted him four days later. On Sept. 26, he was arraigned in county court, with New York State Justice John B. Collins setting bail at $300,000 based on Mr. Ambrose’s recidivist nature, according to court records. He had been held in the county jail ever since. Details of that burglary, said to have occurred on April 20 of last year, were not immediately available.

Since 2004, Mr. Ambrose has spent most of his time behind bars. That year he was convicted on a number of charges, including burglary and possession of stolen property, and served three and a half years in state prison. One year after his release, he was convicted of burglary and was returned to prison. After serving two more years, he was released but was soon arrested again on another burglary charge. After serving more time, he was released, only to be arrested and convicted yet again in 2014.

Almost immediately after being released from prison early last year, he apparently returned to his criminal ways. According to Lt. Susan Ralph of the Southampton Town police, he would break into businesses that were closed for the night and rummage through drawers, searching for cash and cigarettes. The six stores he targeted in the town’s jurisdiction were in Noyac (the Whalebone General Store), Southampton (the Blue Collar Bar), and Water Mill, and included a gas station.

“It’s sad. They just keep going back to the same old thing, instead of improving their lives,” Lieutenant Ralph said of repeat offenders.

On the Police Logs 11.27.25

A Barry Lane, Springs, man told police that someone claiming to be from Amazon had called him in regard to a $996 charge on his account for an iPhone 16. When he said he didn’t have an Amazon account, he was transferred to someone who identified himself as a Social Security employee, accused him of money laundering, and told him to expect a call from Nassau County police.

Nov 27, 2025

Accused of Stealing Wipes

A homeless 22-year-old was arrested last week in Montauk, accused of stealing a package of wipes from the Montauk I.G.A. after having been being notified the week before that he was no longer allowed on the premises.

Nov 27, 2025

Hospitalized After Accident

Police reported only one accident on local roads recently that resulted in an injury, which happened on Nov. 11 in Montauk, after midnight.

Nov 27, 2025

Five-Day Sentence for 2023 Graffiti That Unnerved Montauk

A 76-year-old Montauk man was sentenced to five days in county jail, followed by three years of probation, for spray-painting swastikas and antisemitic phrases around the hamlet in late 2023. 

Nov 20, 2025

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.