Skip to main content

Southern Pine Beetles Reach Napeague

Thu, 12/16/2021 - 11:13
The trail of southern pine beetles beneath the bark of a dead tree
David E. Rattray

Southern pine beetle infestation has been detected in New York State parkland at Napeague.

Officials of East Hampton Town’s land acquisition and management department had warned in September of the likelihood of the geographic expansion, and the State Department of Environmental Conservation confirmed it in October, a D.E.C. spokesman said Tuesday. “At that time, there were approximately 300 affected trees,” he said. The invasive species was first detected in the town in 2017.

As the infested area is state parkland, the town cannot take unilateral action, Supervisor Peter Van Scoyoc said last week. Andy Gaites, principal environmental analyst in the Land Acquisition and Management Department, said on Tuesday that the town has not yet conducted a full inspection of the property, so the extent of infestation is not known. “We have offered town staff assistance for inspection/marking trees,” he said.

The D.E.C. and the state’s Office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation are currently working together on a management strategy for Napeague, with treatment planned for 2022, the D.E.C. spokesman said.

Mr. Gaites and Scott Wilson, the Land Acquisition and Management Department’s director, told the town board in September that the infestation in East Hampton’s Northwest Woods that has seen thousands of pine trees either killed by the beetles or felled and removed to suppress their spread had expanded into Wainscott. More than 500 trees had been marked during an inspection of the East Hampton Airport property there, most of them on either side of Industrial Road, Mr. Gaites said at the time.

A D.E.C. official, speaking on background, told The Star in September that the agency has prioritized suppression efforts within Long Island’s Central Pine Barrens, the largest intact pine barrens ecosystem on the Island. Southern pine beetle management on the South Fork has been a secondary objective, as it is eastward and beyond the Central Pine Barrens and the ecosystem is fragmented. D.E.C. crews have, however, conducted some suppression efforts in Northwest Harbor County Park, Barcelona Neck State Forest, and smaller public lands in the town.

Villages

Beware Larval Ticks and the Troubles They Bring

During August, September, and even into October, “tick bombs,” concentrated groupings of larval ticks, could be anywhere, and the larval lone star ticks are likely a main cause of the increasingly prevalent alpha-gal meat allergy. 

Aug 20, 2026

Reading the Global Economic Tea Leaves

According to many metrics, the American economy is doing extraordinarily well, yet most voters say they are worse off under President Trump. Artificial intelligence is driving a strong bull market, but it could also kill us all. 

Aug 20, 2026

A Mulford Teapot Comes Home

Made by Elias Pelletreau for David and Phoebe Mulford in 1751, a long-gone silver teapot takes a turn under glass at the Mulford Farm on James Lane.

Aug 20, 2026

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.