Skip to main content

Driver in Fatal Crash Faces Long List of New Charges

Mon, 07/07/2025 - 11:25
Luis Gonzalo Barrionuevo-Fuertes outside East Hampton Town Justice Court on June 16.
Denis Hartnett

Luis Gonzalo Barrionuevo-Fuertes, the 18-year-old East Hampton High School graduate who was driving the car involved in a fatal accident in Springs on the evening of June 15, is scheduled to have his first appearance in Suffolk County Court in Riverhead on Wednesday morning, and faces a long list of new criminal charges.

Mr. Barrionuevo-Fuertes was arrested at the scene of the accident, which resulted in the death of a 19-year-old East Hampton High School student, Scarleth Milena Urgiles Samaniego, and sent six other teenage passengers to the hospital. He was arraigned before East Hampton Town Justice Steven Tekulsky the following afternoon, charged with aggravated driving while intoxicated with a child passenger less than 16, a felony, and the misdemeanors of first-offense D.W.I., and endangering the welfare of a child.

He now faces the additional felony charges of aggravated vehicular homicide, second-degree manslaughter, aggravated vehicular assault, second-degree vehicular manslaughter, two counts of second-degree assault by means of a deadly weapon, first-degree vehicular assault, and two counts of second-degree vehicular assault.

He has additionally been charged with the misdemeanors of first-offense D.W.I. with a blood alcohol content of .08 or higher, three counts of reckless third-degree assault, third-degree assault, and reckless driving, as well as a speed violation.

Melissa Aguanno, Mr. Barrionuevo-Fuertes's attorney, had said after his first arraignment that she received notice from the district attorney's office that it would be holding a grand jury proceeding on June 20 to determine whether additional charges could be brought against her client, and the New York State Unified Court System website has since been updated to reflect those new charges.

Mr. Barrionuevo-Fuertes is scheduled to appear before Suffolk County Court Judge Steven A. Pilewski at 9 a.m. on Wednesday to be arraigned on the new charges.

Convicted Man Given Grace

Darius Petty, who last year was accused of kidnapping and robbing three young men at gunpoint in the parking lot of the East Hampton Senior Center, and was sentenced in June to three years in prison, was released from custody in July for a monthlong “grace period” before his incarceration. On Tuesday, Suffolk Supreme Court Justice Timothy P. Mazzei agreed to extend the time for an additional month.

Aug 28, 2025

On the Police Logs 08.28.25

After leaving his house early Saturday, a Montauk man found a stranger asleep in his guest room when he returned late that afternoon. The intruder told police he was “unsure how, when, or why” he’d got there, adding that he’d been drinking the night before.

Aug 28, 2025

Teen Cyclist Hurt in Collision

A 15-year-old bike rider was injured on Aug. 19 after colliding with a Chevrolet pickup truck by the side of Montauk Highway in East Hampton.

Aug 28, 2025

He ‘Just Needed to Stop’

A Florida resident faces two felony drunken-driving charges after Sag Harbor Village police, responding to a welfare check, found him lying on a sidewalk early on the morning of Aug. 20.

Aug 28, 2025

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.