Skip to main content

On the Police Logs 01.05.23

Thu, 01/05/2023 - 09:47

East Hampton Village

Three different people knocked on the door of a Fredericka Lane house in quick succession on Dec. 27, inquiring if the property were for rent. The woman living there told them all no, and called the police. The first knock happened at about 9 p.m. and two more came within an hour. Police advised the resident to call back if it continued to happen.

A 40-year-old man living on Toilsome Lane called police last Thursday afternoon to report “suspicious activity.” He had discovered a plastic bag wrapped tightly around the branch of a tree on his property and wanted his finding documented.

About an hour later, a woman phoned to complain that outside lights had been left on at a nearby house for an extended length of time. Police were able to reach the contractor managing construction at the property and the lights were turned off.

On Monday afternoon, police impounded a bike that had been chained to a stop sign on Lumber Lane for more than a month. Both of its tires were flat.

Sag Harbor

Police responded to a late-night fight involving four people in front of the restaurant Page at 63 Main on Saturday. Their names were recorded simply as Samuel, Alfonso, Francisco, and Gustavo, and there had reportedly been a few punches thrown, but they all went home in Ubers after it was decided no criminal charges should be pressed.

Michael, an extremely intoxicated man who would not give his full name to police when they were summoned to the Main Street bench where he was causing a disturbance last Thursday evening, was to have been picked up by his mother at 7:30 p.m. Somehow that did not come to pass, and about two hours later, officers found him on the ground in front of Il Capuccino. According to their report, he had a bloody cut over one eye and became so combative that an officer had to accompany him in an ambulance to Stony Brook Southampton Hospital.

Chirag Chotalia of Garden Street called police last Thursday night after arriving home to find mysterious open packages of cheese and tortillas in his refrigerator. He told police that neither he nor his housemate had left them there. Police canvassed the area but couldn’t find anything or anyone suspicious.

An officer performing a routine check on the Sag Harbor side of the North Haven bridge encountered a large hole underneath it on the afternoon of Dec. 27. He coned it off and left a message for the Public Works Department to fill it.

Thank you for reading . . . 
...Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.