Skip to main content

On the Police Logs 04.28.22

Thu, 04/28/2022 - 10:34


Richard Slater, a real estate agent, told police on April 16 that his sign had been uprooted from a Katie Lane listing and thrown across the street. The sign was damaged, he said, and would cost about $240 to repair.

Kim Slicklein of Laurel Hill Lane arrived home on April 16 to find her house vandalized. Multiple outdoor lamps were broken, and there was toilet paper strewn on the driveway and among the trees. She told police she’d had an issue with a moving company that had broken her gate but denied responsibility. Police took photos to document the vandalism.


East Hampton

Nearly $3,000 worth of cedar siding was taken recently from a house Frank Jaklitsch, a contractor, is building on Eileen’s Path. There was no garage door as yet, he told police on April 15, and so the house itself was unsecured.

On March 31, Candice-Julianna Wilkerson noticed her black racing bike was missing from in front of her Montauk Highway apartment. Assuming she would never see it again, she told police, she did not report the theft. On April 12, however, she saw a man riding it at the corner of Cedar Street and Osborne Lane. She said she would call if she saw it again.

A Gould Street resident received some scary phone calls on March 15. The caller said he’d kidnapped the man’s wife and demanded $3,000 to release her. The man was told to go to a Mastic 7-Eleven with the money and warned not to talk to anyone about it. He called police anyway, who told him to call his wife to see if she was okay. She was.


East Hampton Village

Two men had an altercation on Railroad Avenue on April 18 over mask-wearing, apparently not for the first time. Police told the two to steer clear of each other and sent one home on a bus.

Officers were called on Friday to check on a man lying on the train platform. He’d fallen asleep, he told them, while waiting for the train. Police waited with him until it arrived, and saw him safely aboard.

Later that day someone called from Gay Road asking that police escort 11 ducklings and their mother safely across. All had made it across the road when police arrived, and were found in bushes in front of the post office.

On Saturday, an angry customer at the AT&T store yelled at an employee who was reportedly unable to help him download an app. The employee reported it to police, who called the man and let him know he was no longer welcome in the store and would be charged with trespassing if he showed up again.


Sag Harbor

Bill Tabert allowed a local homeless man to sleep in his car on April 18 because the man was drunk and had nowhere else to go. Later, Mr. Tabert needed the car, but he was not able to remove the man. He took him to the police station, whence he was transported to Stony Brook Southampton Hospital.

Lincoln Woelk was sitting in his car by GeekHampton last Thursday evening when, he told police, he saw another man “take his uncircumcised penis out of his pants” and urinate nearby.

On Friday morning, a man known as Kevin complained to the staff of Goldberg’s Bagels about high prices. Before he left, he stole an unknown amount of money from the tip jar.

A woman using made a reservation at Baron’s Cove on April 13 in the name of “Dara,” but her credit card turned out to be invalid. The manager, Jose Lema, told police he’d called to tell her she owed over $400, but that she’d refused to pay and blocked his number.

A man named Romel called police Friday to report a road rage incident. A man in an “older-model gray Mercedes,” after “giving him the finger,” then showed him a pistol, Romel said. He followed the man and watched him turn onto Harbor Avenue before calling police. He told the officer he was “unable to stop and talk about it because he was making a delivery.”

Ed Keely called twice on Sunday, 20 minutes apart, to report a man riding a dirt bike near the playground in Mashashimuet Park. Police were not able to find him.

An officer on patrol spotted a Dumpster fire Saturday night on Jermain Avenue and called the fire department. The Dumpster was engulfed in flames, which were spreading toward a nearby house, but firefighters were able to douse the blaze quickly.



Jose Reyes was interested in an apartment on Gann Road and spoke with someone claiming to be the landlord, who said he could move in on April 13. He sent the person nearly $6,000 for down payments, but when the move-in date came, the “landlord” was nowhere to be found. Mr. Reyes told police that all his calls went to voicemail and were not answered.

Thank you for reading . . . 
...Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.