Skip to main content

On the Police Logs 12.01.22

Thu, 12/01/2022 - 10:54


Michael Marcari of Old Stone Highway reported the loss of his U.S. passport on Nov. 21 and suspects it may have been stolen. He gave police a name, but they were unable to contact that person by telephone. Mr. Marcari wanted the incident documented, and the investigation into the possible theft is continuing.

East Hampton

A small brush fire broke out on Thanksgiving evening between a house on Red Dirt Road and a construction site on Wolf Way. Firefighters reported seeing nothing suspicious, and extinguished the blaze without incident.

Just before 11 p.m. on Nov. 23, a Wireless Road woman asked police for a "wellness check" on a man in a dark sweatshirt and baseball hat, sitting by the side of the road. Officers "located an African American male sitting on the side of the road smoking a cigarette," who told them he was waiting for a ride. They concluded that he "did not present any danger to himself or others."

On Yew Street, someone reported a man lying on the street in a pile of leaves on the early afternoon of Nov. 21. Workers at a Boxwood Street construction site nearby told police that one of their crew may have taken a nap in the leaf pile during his lunch break. Officers advised them to avoid future siestas in the street.

Sylvanious Webb of Banks Court came home from work around 10 p.m. on Nov. 19 to find that his 2014 Dodge Charger was no longer in the driveway. A family member reported last seeing it at around 5 that evening, and police subsequently tracked the car headed west through Wainscott just before 9 p.m. It was determined to be stolen, and is being sought.

Jacqueline Williams, manager of East Hampton House on Pantigo Road, reported an unpaid bill of $4,381.46, left by someone who had rented a room from Oct. 7 to Nov. 11, but fled the resort on the last evening, shortly before police arrived. The guest had initially paid the entire sum on a credit card, the manager said, but the charge was reversed on suspicion of fraud. Police did manage to get in touch with the person, who was advised to settle the bill on peril of arrest on a charge of theft of services.

In early October, a customer at Damark's Market took two packages of caviar from a display case, opened them, and dumped their contents into his pockets. He then put the empty packages back on the shelves, bought a coffee and a package of cream cheese with a credit card, and departed in a red Honda CR-V with a pocketful of pilfered fish eggs worth $86. Bruce Damark discovered the theft via video surveillance footage and contacted his credit-card processor, but was told there was no information on the suspect, who remains at large.

James Frank of Englewood, Colo., told town police in late September that his bank, Wells Fargo, had informed him they'd received a possible fraudulent check with his name on it. It was his check, he told police, but he didn't know the person who cashed it, one Tanecia Taylor. He then checked his bank records and found 217 fraudulent transactions totaling $307,421.26, going back to October 2021. A heavily redacted police report did not indicate Mr. Frank's connection to East Hampton, but did state that the case has been assigned to the detective division.

Joseph Hall reported the theft of a metal fire pit from the front yard of his Norfolk Drive rental house back in mid-September. The house was unoccupied at the time, he said.

East Hampton Village

In an otherwise quiet week, village police responded to at least 13 false alarms. Seven were unfounded reports of possible burglaries; the other six were triggered by automatic fire alarms.


A reported brush fire at Camp Hero State Park on Nov. 22 turned out to be a Dumpster fire near the motor pool building. Firefighters made quick work of the trashy blaze.

Susan Roxbury told police on Nov. 15 that someone had mailed a $15,000 check with her name on it to a Texas resident named Kelly James, who called her asking if she'd sent the check to buy a horse. Ms. Roxbury said she most certainly had not, and informed Ms. James that the check was from a closed bank account and that her signature had been forged. 

Sag Harbor

A man was not breathing when medical personnel arrived on Hampton Street Sunday just before 8 p.m. Technicians administered CPR and used a heart-shocking machine to successfully revive the man, who was taken by ambulance to Stony Brook Southampton Hospital.

A group of young women, possibly juveniles, stole eight bottles of Fireball Whiskey, worth $36.72, from the Gulf gas station on Hampton Street Saturday night.

Left behind at season's end at the village boat storage area by Havens Beach were a Brooklyn Company kayak, an Airhead inflatable float, and a ladder. All were impounded on Friday.

After receiving a report on Nov. 23 of "a hazardous box of glass" in the roadway at the Jermain Avenue intersection with Hampton Street, police discovered plastic cutlery strewn across the road. The Highway Department was called in to deploy the street-sweeper.

Someone called in a "suspicious bright light" coming from 373 Main Street on the evening of Nov. 23. Police found a group of kids playing basketball and using a light to illuminate the game.

Thank you for reading . . . 
...Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.