Skip to main content

Sentencing Postponed in Credit Card Fraud Case

Thu, 05/06/2021 - 12:22

The sentencing of a former Long Island Radio Broadcasting executive for credit card fraud has been postponed while the defense and prosecution dispute the amount of money involved in the crime.

Stephanie Bitis of Sag Harbor was fired from her post as general manager in 2017 and pleaded guilty in November 2020 to a felony charge of fraud, admitting she had used a company credit card to charge off more than 600 personal expenses, including a vacation to Aruba and visits to an orthodontist.

Anthony Bagnuola, the assistant United States attorney who is prosecuting the case, wrote in an April 2 letter to the U.S. Probation Office that the radio station's losses were around $285,377, plus the legal expenses it is incurring while the case makes its way through the court system — which could be added to the final restitution Ms. Bitis will have to pay.

While Ms. Bitis offered legitimate explanations for $17,207 of the fraudulent charges, originally estimated at over $300,000, ultimately she could be responsible for as much as $550,000, Mr. Bagnuola said in the letter.

Ms. Bitis's defense attorney, Thomas Kenniff, maintains, however, that the amount in question is $188,576. "The court adjourned the sentencing to give the parties an opportunity to arrive at a mutually agreeable figure that reflected the loss incurred by [the victim] and an amount my client would be able to repay," he said in an email to The Star. He declined to comment further.

According to John Marzulli, a federal public information officer, the final total of fraudulent charges will dictate Ms. Bitis's sentence. Above $250,000, the penalty is 24 to 30 months; if below that threshold, it is 18 to 24 months.

Mr. Bagnuola said in his April 2 letter that during the investigation, a similar pattern of fraudulent behavior also emerged while Ms. Bitis was employed by the New York City radio station WFAN, before she came to Long Island Radio Broadcasting, which operates WBAZ, WEHM, and WBEA out of Water Mill, in 2015.

Last Thursday, U.S. District Court Judge Gary R. Brown adjourned  sentencing until June 7 to give the two sides time to hash out the final total for restitution. If they cannot come to an agreement, a court hearing will be scheduled.

Ms. Bitis now works as vice president of sales for Dan's Papers, which is owned by Schneps Media. She is a former member of the Sag Harbor School Board.

On the Police Logs 11.27.25

A Barry Lane, Springs, man told police that someone claiming to be from Amazon had called him in regard to a $996 charge on his account for an iPhone 16. When he said he didn’t have an Amazon account, he was transferred to someone who identified himself as a Social Security employee, accused him of money laundering, and told him to expect a call from Nassau County police.

Nov 27, 2025

Accused of Stealing Wipes

A homeless 22-year-old was arrested last week in Montauk, accused of stealing a package of wipes from the Montauk I.G.A. after having been being notified the week before that he was no longer allowed on the premises.

Nov 27, 2025

Hospitalized After Accident

Police reported only one accident on local roads recently that resulted in an injury, which happened on Nov. 11 in Montauk, after midnight.

Nov 27, 2025

Five-Day Sentence for 2023 Graffiti That Unnerved Montauk

A 76-year-old Montauk man was sentenced to five days in county jail, followed by three years of probation, for spray-painting swastikas and antisemitic phrases around the hamlet in late 2023. 

Nov 20, 2025

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.