Skip to main content

Eight Open Alcohol Containers

Thu, 01/07/2021 - 06:24

There was only one arrest on drunken-driving charges in East Hampton Town last week. On Saturday afternoon, town police reported clocking Luis Sigua-Sisalima's green 2005 Kia minivan at 59 miles per hour in a 30-m.p.h. zone on Abraham's Path in East Hampton, near Accabonac Highway.

Officers said they counted eight open containers of alcohol in the minivan, adding that the driver performed poorly on roadside sobriety tests. Mr. Sigua-Sisalima, charged with misdemeanor driving while intoxicated, was held overnight for a morning appearance in Justice Court before Justice Lisa R. Rana.

Alcohol was not a factor in three other recent arrests, including that of Martha Huanga of Montauk, who was spotted driving on New Year's Day. Town police charged her once again, as they had in early December, with aggravated unlicensed operation; she is to answer the charge on Wednesday.

Also charged with lack of driver's documentation were William Perez of Riverhead and Raula Barrera-Gomez of Holbrook, both accused of unlicensed operation, and Osm Chave-Barahon of Brentwood (driving with a suspended registration). Roberto Fernandez Benitez of Flushing was arraigned on Dec. 22 on a charge of lapsed registration.

Luca Muir, an East Hampton resident, was also arrested on New Year's Day, charged with menacing in the second degree. Village police said the charge followed an incident the day before, on Lumber Lane near the railroad station, but did not release further details by press time. The 18-year-old was to have appeared in court today.

Finally, Conception Choy-Nij of Montauk, 34, was summoned to be in court today for selling food without a license on public property at 65 Dunemere Lane in East Hampton Village.

Who Was the Actual Driver?

A 14-year-old driving on Hand’s Creek Road on Jan. 19 was involved in an accident that eventually led to the arrest of his father on Feb. 3.

Feb 19, 2026

D.A. Refuses Plea Deal in Montauk Art Show Case

“One year of supervision is not sufficient for what she allegedly did,” Justice Steven Tekulsky said during a conference last Thursday with the attorney for Nicoly Ribeiro De Souza, who police said drove through an art show on the Montauk green in June, causing over $100,000 in damages.

Feb 12, 2026

Bostwick’s Burglar Charged and Sentenced

An East Quogue man police say broke into Bostwick’s on Pantigo Road last May was charged with third-degree burglary early Friday morning, and sentenced later that day to four years’ probation for a string of other burglaries from Southampton to East Hampton.

Feb 12, 2026

On the Logs 02.12.26

An appliance repair man from Mastic Beach told police on Feb. 3 that he’d been harassed over the phone by a Montauk homeowner’s son after he ran late to repair a washing machine.

Feb 12, 2026

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.