Skip to main content

On the Police Logs

Thu, 07/09/2020 - 11:26


The guest house at 69 Meeting House Lane was not as she had left it when Jessica Gruss went in on Sunday afternoon. The beds were a mess, there were wet towels on the bathroom floor, the trashcan was full of McDonald’s leftovers, and there was a receipt from a Southampton liquor store in plain sight. A suspect was questioned but denied involvement.

Police are on the lookout for a man who drives a dark-colored Ford F150, who was seen on the night of June 26 throwing a bottle at a 2019 Mercedes-Benz, damaging its front window, and breaking the side mirror with a hammer. It happened at the Sportime field on Abraham’s Path, where the car’s owner, Wilson Y. Segarra Aguirre, had been playing soccer with a group of friends. Mr. Segarra Aguirre told police that four men had been arguing over a play in the match, and punches were exchanged before the suspect ran toward him in the parking lot. He ran to the street, he said, dialed 911, and watched the damage to his Mercedes unfold. 

East Hampton Town police received a grand total of 43 fireworks-noise complaint calls over the holiday weekend.

East Hampton Village

On the afternoon of June 29, unable to hail a taxi outside the train station, a woman thought to call police to see if they could give her a ride. They could not, citing Covid-19 guidelines, nor did they have any luck finding her a local taxi.

A driver flagged down an officer on July 1 to report that he had stopped for a cat to cross Two Mile Hollow Road, which annoyed the woman driving behind him, who then tailgated him, driving, he said, erratically. He could not describe her car, and police did not find her.

That evening, an anonymous call came in about someone setting off fireworks atop the roof of the North Main Street I.G.A. No one was there when village and town police arrived.

A man tried to hide a bottle under his shirt at Race Lane Liquors and leave without paying last Thursday afternoon, but was seen, and warned not to steal it. He gave it back and fled on a bike. The owner wanted the incident on record.

A large tree limb fell across the intersection of Georgica Close Road and Georgica Road on Saturday evening. The Highway Department removed most of it that night, leaving traffic cones around one large branch, which was taken away on Monday.

Saturday morning, wearing a pink-and-white collar, a brown puppy scurried unattended near 41 Apaquogue Road. Police canvassed the area and reunited Ruby with her owner. 

Some form of advertisement was reportedly being built into a sand castle on Main Beach that afternoon. Police spoke with the builders about the village code regarding advertising on village property. Beach managers were advised of the situation, and there were no further problems.


Allan Fahey was hosting a party at 19 Galton Place on the afternoon of July 5 when a man he didn’t know showed up with 15 other people. Mr. Fahey asked him to leave, which set off an argument. Both parties ended up rolling around and fighting on the front porch. A friend broke them up, took Mr. Fahey inside, and locked the front door. The unwelcome guest, who then punched the glass window and door, breaking both, later told police he had been jumped by several men as he was trying to get in. He had face and arm cuts from the broken glass but refused medical attention, and “over all was uncooperative.” Mr. Fahey signed a trespass and criminal mischief affidavit against the man, and police noted in their report that everyone involved was intoxicated. 

When exiting his Uber near 701 Montauk Highway late last Thursday night, Anthony Alfonso said he and his friends were arbitrarily attacked by an unknown group of men. In the pushing and shoving, Mr. Alfonso was struck in the face and needed stitches on his nose. It happened in seconds, he said, so he could not describe any of his attackers, who ran off on foot. His friend Jack Concannon had bruises to his right hand, and both were taken for treatment to Stony Brook Southampton Hospital. Mr. Alfonso would like to pursue charges and police said they would review security footage.

Sag Harbor

Late on the night of June 30, a Carver Street resident said she saw her ex-boyfriend crawling along the ground and hiding under bushes. He had signed a no-trespass affidavit on June 15. He was gone before police arrived and the woman indicated she would likely move forward with pressing charges.

Fifteen or so youths on bicycles were up to high jinks that same night. They were said to be obstructing and swerving through traffic around Hempstead and Liberty Streets, but police did not find them.

A woman phoned for help last Thursday afternoon getting a taxi to her rental in Hampton Bays. She has placed calls of a similar nature before and was “acting irrationally,” an officer reported, but he calmed her eventually and called her a cab.

Later that day, a neighbor on Hillside Drive called police to report children playing loudly. Police confirmed children playing, but saw there were no issues, especially since it was 1 o’clock in the afternoon. 

An employee of Long Wharf Wines and Spirits reported that last Thursday evening, a man with bleached dreadlocks, wearing a hat and sunglasses, had asked questions, walked around the store, and left. Half an hour later he came and went again. The employee soon realized a $488.80 bottle of Dom Perignon was missing and had been replaced with a cheaper bottle. Charges will not be pressed, but it has been noted. 

Unable to open his sliding door, an Eastville Avenue resident called police on Saturday night. They helped him to enter through the front door.

A 15-year-old girl was driving a 2014 Honda Pilot without headlights on Hampton Street late Saturday night. Police intercepted her near Elizabeth Street, and her mother took her home. 

Six calls about illegal fireworks came in over the holiday week. The perpetrators were not found.

Thank you for reading . . . 
...Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.