Skip to main content

On the Police Logs

Thu, 07/23/2020 - 06:52


Michael Clancy left his 1998 Mercedes-Benz in the Fresh Pond Park parking lot on July 15 and went to a nearby bench to have a half-hour’s conversation with his father. While he was gone, someone punctured the front seat with Mr. Clancy’s own pen, which was still stuck in the seat, and stole $40 from the center console. There were no witnesses.

On Sunday morning at the V&V Shell station east of the hamlet, a man put air fresheners in his pocket and tried to leave without paying. He was stopped, and agreed to pay and not come back.

Two violations of Covid-19 protocol, one at Atlantic Avenue Beach and the other at Flaggy Hole Road in Springs, were called in at the same time on the morning of July 14. Officers responded to the reports of crowds gathering, and dispersed the groups without incident. 

East Hampton

A fight broke out between Christian Pena and a large group of men on July 3 in the parking lot of the Whalebone Apartments. Police withheld specifics, reporting only that Mr. Pena said he was chased by two men who came out of the bushes at 100 Boatheaders Lane. He got to his apartment safely, he said, but later, when he tried to sneak away, he was attacked and knocked to the pavement. He thinks he may have been hit on the head with a skateboard, but declined medical attention. The skateboard was recovered and held as evidence.

East Hampton Village

A dog was found wandering on Newtown Lane on July 13, but police had no luck getting in touch with its owner via information on its collar tag. Animal Control was called and took the dog. 

The next evening, a 72-year-old woman from Riverdale, N.Y., reported being bitten on the shin by a small dog inside the Elie Tahari shop on Main Street. She refused medical attention. Animal Control again responded, issuing a summons to its owner, a 90-year-old resident of Sag Harbor, whom police said could not produce identification for the dog. 

In a cheerier series of events, a dog was reported running loose near James Lane on the afternoon of July 15, but by the time police arrived it had been reunited with its owner.

Last Thursday morning a Buell Lane resident complained of loud music coming from Most Holy Trinity Church, where a summer camp was operating. A counselor agreed to turn down the music.

The sound of a chain saw was reported Friday evening, coming from Mill Hill Lane, but upon police arrival, all was peaceful.

A man called police on Saturday afternoon to report that in the Schenck lot behind Village Hardware, “a white man in a small blue antique car” had accelerated quickly through the lot, requiring him to jump out of the way to avoid being hit.

On Sunday evening, a report of a distressed parasailer proved exaggerated. When police arrived, the 39-year-old resident of Cold Spring, N.Y., was safe ashore, and stated he “was never in distress, his parasail and his wetsuit helps him float.” Someone on a surfboard was on his way to shore, having recovered the parasailer’s gear for him. Ocean Rescue was there as well; no medical attention was needed.


On the evening of July 7 on Star Island Road, two men who had had prior issues encountered each other, apparently by chance. Michael Fallon and Rewle Hopson exchanged angry words, then shoves and blows. After they were separated and he was in his car calling 911, Mr. Fallon told police, Mr. Hopson threw a brick at the windshield. Mr. Hopson told police much the same story, except he claimed he had picked up the brick because Mr. Fallon was trying to run him down. Neither wanted to press charges, and police advised them to stay away from each other in future.

Late Saturday night, Keith Berkhofer braked to a stop on West Lake Drive near Wells Avenue and honked at an intoxicated man who had walked in front of his car. The man made derogatory remarks and Mr. Berkhofer got out to confront him, only to be pushed and slapped in the face. The assailant then ran off, and police did not find him.

A caller reported an “unruly group” of three young men skateboarding without helmets in the skate park on South Essex Street on July 15. The caller said he had told them they needed to put on helmets or leave, to which they were argumentative and hostile. He then announced that he was calling police, and at that, they left. 

That evening at the Beachcomber, Michael Pergola and his wife, Jannine, of St. James, returned to their room from a day at the beach and found his black wallet and cash missing. Nothing else in the room was disturbed. Detectives were investigating. 

Andrew Disimone’s bright orange Pantera beach cruiser bicycle was stolen on the night of July 15 from the Rough Riders Landing bike rack. Police are on the lookout for the bike.

Sag Harbor

Long Wharf Wines and Spirits, where a man with “bleached dreadlocks” recently got away with a $488.80 bottle of Dom Perignon, was unlucky again last week. On the afternoon of July 14, a woman carrying a pink and blue oversized tote took an $84.99 bottle of Kistler white wine, but did not go so far as to pay for it when she purchased two other bottles. Police said charges were not being pursued.

A niece of the homeowner at 33 Bluff Point Road called police on July 14 to report that the night before, two people she did not know were trespassing, sitting on her uncle’s backyard swings.

There was a report outside 2 Bay Street of an intoxicated man creating a disturbance on the night of July 15. His mother responded and took him home.

Also that night, several people gathered without masks outside LT Burger on Main Street. Police told them to wear personal protective equipment.

Two people lying in the grass by the side of the road near Hampton Street and Lighthouse Lane were woken by police at 4 a.m. last Thursday. Apparently intoxicated, they explained they had tried to walk back to their house on Washington Avenue and “didn’t make it.”

Carlos Rake was cutting down a tree on Main Street last Thursday morning when a limb struck him in the face, knocking him out. A fellow worker applied pressure to the laceration until a Sag Harbor ambulance took him to the hospital. 

The building manager of 138 Division Street found a woman sitting on an inner staircase that night, drinking a White Claw beverage. She said she was waiting for a friend to get off work, but the building manager asked her to leave.

Late last Thursday at the candle store at 8 Main Street, a large crowd was in attendance at an event. Police told the owner that patrons should be wearing masks and that the number of people exceeded the governor’s executive order.


Alexander Miller, president of the Lion Head Beach Association, reported on Monday that three of the association’s Covid-19 protocol signs, staked at the Pond Lane beachfront, the bay inlet, and a marina, had been stolen, probably on Sunday. Mr. Miller signed an affidavit for the three black-and-white signs, valued at $200 each.

Thank you for reading . . . 
...Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.