Skip to main content

Sex Abuse of Child Charged

Thu, 02/13/2020 - 09:01
East Hampton Town police said that Juan P. Sumba-Clavijo sexually abused a 12-year-old over an almost two-year period. He was arrested after she told school officials last week.
Doug Kuntz

A 34-year-old man accused of sexually abusing a child over an almost two-year period was arrested last week. The victim, whose name has been withheld, gave a statement to detectives on Feb. 3.     

Juan P. Sumba-Clavijo of East Hampton was charged the next day with “course of sexual conduct” in the second degree, a felony, used when the defendant is older than 17 and the child is under 13, and child endangerment, a misdemeanor.     

Between October 2017 and August 2019, according to the complaint filed in East Hampton Justice Court, he engaged in two or more acts of sexual conduct with a child under 13. In March of that year, when she was 12, he photographed at least one instance. The victim only just disclosed the abuse to school officials, police said.     

Mr. Sumba-Clavijo was arraigned here on Feb. 5. Sue Menu, who represented him at his arraignment, entered a denial to the felony charge. Justice Steven Tekulsky issued an order of protection for the alleged victim.     

Bail was set at $2,500, which was posted the same day. The man is due back in court next Thursday.     

Who Was the Actual Driver?

A 14-year-old driving on Hand’s Creek Road on Jan. 19 was involved in an accident that eventually led to the arrest of his father on Feb. 3.

Feb 19, 2026

D.A. Refuses Plea Deal in Montauk Art Show Case

“One year of supervision is not sufficient for what she allegedly did,” Justice Steven Tekulsky said during a conference last Thursday with the attorney for Nicoly Ribeiro De Souza, who police said drove through an art show on the Montauk green in June, causing over $100,000 in damages.

Feb 12, 2026

Bostwick’s Burglar Charged and Sentenced

An East Quogue man police say broke into Bostwick’s on Pantigo Road last May was charged with third-degree burglary early Friday morning, and sentenced later that day to four years’ probation for a string of other burglaries from Southampton to East Hampton.

Feb 12, 2026

On the Logs 02.12.26

An appliance repair man from Mastic Beach told police on Feb. 3 that he’d been harassed over the phone by a Montauk homeowner’s son after he ran late to repair a washing machine.

Feb 12, 2026

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.