Skip to main content

On the Police Logs

Thu, 12/03/2020 - 15:12


"Unauthorized use of a motor vehicle" was reported on Saturday night along Grove Street, but police withheld further information as the incident involved juveniles.


East Hampton

Burning embers caused a few false-alarm fires last week, including and a real one, on Nov. 23 on Pantigo Road, that began when the wall behind a fireplace ignited. The flames were put out before firefighters arrived and caused minor basement damage.

A few residents of Whalebone Village on Boatheader's Lane called police to complain of kids hanging out in the laundry room, but, like the fire, the kids had gone out by the time police arrived.


East Hampton Village

On the evening of Nov. 24, the manager of Cittanuova requested that a 35-year-old man leave, telling police he'd been "disturbing the patrons" and mistreating employees. Officers said the man was "highly agitatedΓ" and escorted him out of the restaurant, where he is no longer allowed.

Less than half an hour and half a block later, the same man became upset, reportedly screaming at a Stop and Shop employee who asked to see identification before selling him beer. He was informed that it was the store's right to ask for ID and told he had to leave the store because he was causing a disturbance. Police were again called to assist, and the man is no longer welcomed in the supermarket.

Homeowners on the Circle reported on the morning of Nov. 25 that a "bunch of kids" had stolen a $40 white pumpkin from their porch.

Friday morning on Pondview Lane, a woman managing an estate sale overlooked "numerous Covid-19 violations" police said, including "many vehicles parked in the roadway in front" of the house. The woman promised to fix the issues.

Irma Sosa, 86, of East Hampton, driving a 2018 Nissan on Friday afternoon toward the Cedar Street-North Main Street light in East Hampton, rear-ended a 2020 Toyota driven by Paul Everoff, 53, of New York City. Ms. Sosa told police her foot had fallen asleep, and she was unable to brake in time to avoid the accident. She complained of neck whiplash, but declined medical attention.

The store manager of Tenet on Newtown Lane told police Saturday night that a 6-foot man wearing a puffer jacket, and a 5-foot-7 accomplice, had taken four shirts into a dressing room, but hurriedly left. Only three shirts remained in their wake.

Deer had a good week of it, on the roads anyway, with only a single run-in, at 5:30 a.m. Sunday on Cedar Street near Stephen Hand's Path in East Hampton.



Town police noted a phone scam pattern targeting elderly people this week. One such caller, reported from Forest Street on Nov. 25, claimed to be someone's grandson who'd gotten into trouble and needed $7,000 wired into his bank account.

A man cooking in a fire pit Monday afternoon at Zorba's Inn on West Lake Drive started a minor fire that was extinguished almost immediately.

Two calls regarding Covid compliance at Gurney's, one on Thanksgiving and the other the day before, turned up nothing.


Sag Harbor

Graffiti reported on the side of a Union Street house, likely defaced while the owner was away earlier in November, has been linked with spray paint on a fence at the back of a Main Street property on Friday evening. Police said the Main Street resident had, in turn, recognized that graffiti from descriptions of similar paint on the side of the Sag Harbor Variety Store last week. An officer warned the mother of the juvenile suspect that she must get her child to stop.

An argument broke out on Friday afternoon on Hampton Street between two drivers. According to police, one was driving below the speed limit and the other was tailgating and making him nervous.

On the morning of Nov. 11, an unknown man came to the front door of a Richards Avenue house, claiming to be with "Orchard Insurance" and in need of backyard pictures. The homeowner's daughter let him in, then called her dad to tell him the man was surveying the property. Aware of the fact that his family did not have Orchard Insurance, he told his daughter to get pictures of the man's ID card and license plate, which she did. About a week later, the homeowner was served with an injury claim from the same "insurance man," who stated he'd tripped and injured himself while walking the property.

Music coming from a car parked on Middle Line Highway was too loud for nearby residents in the early hours of Sunday. The gathering of young people in the car told police they were "all back from college and hanging out," but agreed to leave.

It was not so straightforward, later in the day, when a license plate reader got a hit at the intersection of Madison and Union Street, identifying an out-of-town-registered plate as stolen. The registered owner claimed that this was an ongoing issue, ever since one of his plates fell off and he ran it over. He tried registering the destroyed plate with Southampton Town police, he said, but apparently someone erroneously entered it into the E-Justice system as stolen. Police advised the man to correct the situation with the Department of Motor Vehicles.



A $2,700 Specialized brand bicycle was stolen from Robert Nicholson's son at Three Mile Harbor Marina on Saturday between 4 and 5 p.m.


Thank you for reading . . . 
...Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.