Skip to main content

Supporters Rally for Victim of Alleged Road Rage Attack

Tue, 10/06/2020 - 11:13
David Peralta had to undergo an emergency craniotomy for bleeding in the brain following an attack in East Hampton in August.

A rally to support David Peralta, the 18-year-old from Springs who underwent emergency surgery after an alleged road rage attack in August in the parking lot of the Chase Bank in East Hampton, will be held at East Hampton Town Justice Court on Thursday at 9 a.m., and a GoFundMe campaign has been started to assist his family with medical expenses.

Charles Harrison Streep, 31, will have a virtual court date on Thursday on second-degree felony assault charges in connection with the attack.

Witnesses told police that on Aug. 24, after Mr. Streep ran a stop sign and his car almost collided with Mr. Peralta's car, Mr. Streep followed him into the parking lot, where the incident escalated, with Mr. Streep allegedly choking Mr. Peralta until he was unconscious and slamming him into the pavement after using racial epithets. 

Mr. Peralta went home, but was rushed to Stony Brook University Hospital later that day, where surgeons performed an emergency craniotomy for bleeding in the brain. His family anticipates a lengthy recovery. Mr. Peralta is suing Mr. Streep for battery, medical expenses, and more, asking both compensatory and punitive damages.

Mr. Peralta in the hospital following his surgery last month

 

Mr. Peralta worked as a server at Dopo la Spiaggia, an East Hampton restaurant, and a co-worker there has set up a GoFundMe page to help raise money for his medical bills, which are said to be approaching $100,000. The page can be found by searching "Help David East Hampton" at gofundme.com.

Those who plan to attend the rally on Thursday have been asked to text "David" to 631-827-2378 and to bring signs in support of him. 

Edmond Chakmakian, Mr. Peralta's lawyer in the civil suit, confirmed that Mr. Streep would have another criminal court appearance on a date yet to be decided, though shortly after Thursday. Because of the seriousness of the charge, the case will be transferred to Suffolk County Supreme Court in Riverhead. Mr. Streep's attorney, Andrew J. Weinstein, declined to comment.

Bostwick’s Burglar Charged and Sentenced

An East Quogue man police say broke into Bostwick’s on Pantigo Road last May was charged with third-degree burglary early Friday morning, and sentenced later that day to four years’ probation for a string of other burglaries from Southampton to East Hampton.

Feb 12, 2026

On the Logs 02.12.26

An appliance repair man from Mastic Beach told police on Feb. 3 that he’d been harassed over the phone by a Montauk homeowner’s son after he ran late to repair a washing machine.

Feb 12, 2026

Charged in May Burglary at Bostwick’s

A man police allege broke into Bostwick’s Chowder House on Pantigo Road in May was charged with burglary in the third degree early on Friday.

Feb 6, 2026

Eye a Public Safety Center in Montauk

East Hampton Town will acquire a parcel in Montauk’s downtown on which a multi-department public safety center housing the town’s police, Marine Patrol, Code Enforcement, and East Hampton Volunteer Ocean Rescue operations is planned, it was announced this week.

Feb 5, 2026

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.