Skip to main content

Two Are Granted Probation

Thu, 05/23/2019 - 07:22

Two cases that were first heard in East Hampton Town Justice Court are now concluding elsewhere after both defendants pleaded guilty as charged.

Leander D. Kobolakis, 23, who was charged in August with felony rape for having sex with a minor, entered the plea in the Riverside courtroom of State Supreme Court Justice Barbara Kahn on March 10, in a process known as “superior court information.”

In an S.C.I., the defendant waives the right to be indicted by a grand jury in exchange for an agreed-upon plea and sentence. Mr. Kobolakis admitted to attempted sexual misconduct, a misdemeanor. He was 22 at the time of the incident; the girl involved was 16.

“The defendant was certified as a sex offender and is scheduled to be sentenced on May 5 to a period of probation of six years,” said Robert Clifford, spokesman for Suffolk District Attorney Thomas Spota.

The sex-offender designation will require Mr. Kobolakis to register with local police any time he moves, or face new criminal charges. This can continue for 20 years, or for life, depending on a court’s assessment of the risk of a repeat offense.

His attorney, Tad Scharfenberg, declined comment on the case this week.

Jungsik Lee, 60, was also arrested in August, after a one-vehicle accident near the C.V.S. store on Pantigo Road in East Hampton Village. The three passengers in his van all sustained serious injuries, as did Mr. Lee. They were returning home to Queens after a day of fishing in Montauk.

East Hampton Village police reported that Mr. Lee was highly intoxicated.  Blood samples showed his alcohol level to be at least .18 of 1 percent, triggering multiple vehicular-assault charges as well as a drunken-driving charge. He pleaded guilty to two of the assault charges, which are felonies, as well as the drunken-driving charge.

On March 12, State Supreme Court Justice Fernando Camacho, sitting in Central Islip, spared him a jail term but sentenced him to a conditional year of probation under strict supervision. If he steers clear of trouble during that year, said Mr. Clifford, he will receive five years’ probation.

On the Police Logs 11.27.25

A Barry Lane, Springs, man told police that someone claiming to be from Amazon had called him in regard to a $996 charge on his account for an iPhone 16. When he said he didn’t have an Amazon account, he was transferred to someone who identified himself as a Social Security employee, accused him of money laundering, and told him to expect a call from Nassau County police.

Nov 27, 2025

Accused of Stealing Wipes

A homeless 22-year-old was arrested last week in Montauk, accused of stealing a package of wipes from the Montauk I.G.A. after having been being notified the week before that he was no longer allowed on the premises.

Nov 27, 2025

Hospitalized After Accident

Police reported only one accident on local roads recently that resulted in an injury, which happened on Nov. 11 in Montauk, after midnight.

Nov 27, 2025

Five-Day Sentence for 2023 Graffiti That Unnerved Montauk

A 76-year-old Montauk man was sentenced to five days in county jail, followed by three years of probation, for spray-painting swastikas and antisemitic phrases around the hamlet in late 2023. 

Nov 20, 2025

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.