Skip to main content

'A Surge Coming at Our Health System'

Sat, 03/28/2020 - 15:25

Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone on Saturday said seven more people in the county have died of COVID-19, bringing the death toll to 37. There are now 4,138 confirmed virus cases in the county, up by 753 from Friday. East Hampton's patient count remained the same at 20, but cases in Southampton rose from 65 to 72 in one day. Mr. Bellone said 16 percent of those who are hospitalized -- about 66 people out of 409 -- are age 65 or older.

"The trend is clear," he said. "The trajectory is clear and it is pointing us to what we've been discussing. That is the surge that is coming at our health system."

Also on Saturday, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo postponed New York State's presidential primary vote from April 28 to June 23, and President Trump said he was considering a quarantine for New York and possibly New Jersey and parts of Connecticut, a suggestion that Governor Cuomo said was problematic and "unworkable." Statewide there are over 52,000 confirmed cases of the virus. 

County Legislator Bridget Fleming said during her own press briefing on Friday evening that according to the most recent numbers available to her, East Hampton had 20 confirmed cases, Southampton 68, Southold 133, Riverhead 58, and Shelter Island 1. Previous reports that there were two cases on Shelter Island had been in error, she said.

 

 


Thank you for reading . . . 
...Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.