Skip to main content

LaLota Says Montauk Inlet Dredging Could Start This Week

Mon, 02/10/2025 - 10:23
Durell Godfrey

After news last week from the East Hampton Town Board that the Lake Montauk Inlet could undergo emergency dredging by the end of the month, Representative Nick LaLota confirmed Friday that "he has secured a commitment" from the Army Corps of Engineers to begin the work "as early as February 14." 

Mr. LaLota had a Zoom meeting with the Army Corps on Wednesday. 

"This commitment from the Army Corps of Engineers is a victory for Montauk's commercial and recreational fishermen, local businesses, and our regional economy. Hazardous shoaling poses serious safety and economic risks, and an emergency dredge is absolutely necessary to protect jobs, livelihoods, and safe navigation," Mr. LaLota said in a press release. "I've been in direct contact with the Army Corps, the Suffolk County Executive's office, and local fishermen to cut through red tape and get this project moving. Now, we are on track for a swift resolution that supports Long Island's maritime economy."

The Army Corps has been hearing it from all sides. In mid-January it received a letter from County Executive Ed Romaine urging it to get the job done, and on Feb. 4, Senator Chuck Schumer urged the same. 

East Hampton Town Councilman David Lys has been spearheading the town's efforts all along and has been in contact with local fishermen and Montauk residents via the Montauk Citizens Advisory Committee. Councilman Lys is the board's liaison to the hamlet of Montauk.

Two weeks ago, the Army Corps conducted a site survey and verified the severity of the shoaling. On Feb. 4, it posted a public notice announcing the project and seeking public comments. "Dredging is currently anticipated to occur during the winter of 2025," it read, "subject to the availability of funds."

According to a spokeswoman for Mr. LaLota, the Army Corps had money set aside for the project, which has now been released. Montaukers can soon expect to see the Army Corps's Dredge Murden, a 156-foot, 550-ton vessel currently in the region, deployed to carry out the work.

The public comment on the project will remain open until Tuesday, Feb. 12. Comments can be emailed to Alexander Gregory, the project manager, at [email protected].

 

Villages

A Day on the Ice for Katy’s Courage

A day of fun on the ice on Saturday at the Buckskill Winter Club will raise money for Katy’s Courage, the nonprofit that supports pediatric cancer research, education, and children’s bereavement services.

Feb 19, 2026

Item of the Week: Who Really Worked at Sylvester Manor?

The manor house at Sylvester Manor, seen on this postcard, was built around 1737. From the beginning, the plantation’s existence depended on the labor of people of color.

Feb 19, 2026

New Owners of the Corner Bar

John and Kelly Piccinnini, who own the Clam Bar on Napeague and Sett Coffee in Amagansett, “will be taking over operations” of the Corner Bar in Sag Harbor.

Feb 19, 2026

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.